A Star | Teen Ink

A Star

December 17, 2018
By whitneysteffel BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
whitneysteffel BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sitting on a picnic table with the California sun beating down on me, I felt anxious. Since I was on a mission trip, I was put in an uncomfortable position. I had to carry on a conversation with a homeless man. At only fifteen, I was not confident in starting conversations, especially with someone like this. I felt intimidated. Finally, the tension between myself and the man sitting next to me broke. He started to ask me questions that my closest relatives hardly ever ask. Our conversation began when he asked, “So, what do you want to do with your life?” Hearing that question I didn’t know how to respond. How could I answer this question to someone I didn't even know?


Kenny was a homeless older man. Sitting next to him I felt almost grossed out, I told myself I couldn't get too close. I could almost see his stench fill the air. It smelled like he had not showered in over a week. The clothes on his back looked old, dirty, and ripped. His hair was curly, tangled, and was as brown as coffee grounds. His hands, that were wrapped around a coffee mug, were brown from dirt. However, the smile he shined my way was very welcoming.

We were sitting outside on a picnic table in the back streets of Hollywood. It was an empty lot that a church group changed into a gathering area. A small building was used for offices and everything else was outside. Many table and chairs filled the empty area and was surrounded by a tall fence. I was there on a mission trip with thirty other people from my church. Our mission that day was to spread love and joy to the homeless.

It was mid morning and the sky was as blue as the ocean. I could feel my skin warm from the bright sun. The air, however, was filled with pollution. I tasted the fumes polluting the air with every breath I took. My mind was filled from the chaos of the busy streets. Cars driving past, one by one, all in a hurry to get to their destination. I heard them honking from miles away. Finally, I started to concentrate at where I was and the task I was supposed to be doing.

I thought about the way I should answer Kenny's question. Is he going to judge me for the way I answer?

Finally, getting the courage to reply to the man sitting next to me, I said with hesitation, “I want to help people.”

He was looking down at his newspaper and looked up with his big brown eyes when I answered. When our eyes glanced at one another I knew that this man needed me.

“I think that is a good idea young lady.” His voice sounded kind. He began to look back down at the newspaper. After sipping his coffee he told me something I will never forget. “No matter what you want to do with your life, never give up on yourself or the Lord. There are big plans in store so continue to have faith in Him.” He had a sudden pause then proceeded to say, “I had big dreams but ended up like this. I have always kept my faith and that is what keeps me going.”

I was shocked. This homeless man who was probably treated like garbage, wanted the best for me. I tried to smile back at him.

The walk it took to get to the organization was close to a half mile thru downtown Hollywood. My feet stepped on the stars that filled the sidewalk. All of these stars possessed a name. People stopped to crouch down and take pictures with them. Reading the names on the stars, all I read were famous actors and singers. None of these people I would ever meet. I started to think of stars in my life.

Kenny was one of those stars.

I had been sitting with Kenny for over an hour. Knowing that I did not have much more time with him, I tried to give my full attention.

“What are you doing for the rest of your day?” I asked, trying to pick his brain. He looked at me with a different set of eyes. They were no longer filled with joy and happiness but with fear. I could tell he did not want me to leave him. I had the same feeling.

“This is all I had planned for my day.” He replied with an unwilling smile. Knowing I would never see this kind hearted man again who needed me, made me feel sad. Trying to be positive for Kenny, I gave him the biggest smile I could force.

“Thank you for talking to me today.” I said, keeping the conversation going.

“No, thank you for making my week.” He replied before standing up. Looking around him he let out a loud sigh. I could see the reflection of the bright sun through his eyes.

Saying our goodbyes I had countless emotions. I was no longer scared of this man. I was honored to have had the time to meet such an amazing person. On the other hand, I was terrified for Kenny. Not knowing what he would be eating or where he would be sleeping frightened me. I wished I could have helped him more than what I did. After he exited the fence that had been protecting us, my heart hurt. He would no longer have the protection of the fence. However, I knew he would have the protection of the Lord. I had faith that God would continue to watch over Kenny.

I will never forget the homeless man that became my friend that day. The conversation may have been short lived, but I will always remember it. Thanks to him, I will continue to have faith in the Lord even through my toughest times. And I will also see Hollywood for more than what it is portrayed on television. Kenny is anything but famous. However, he will forever be a star in my mind.


The author's comments:

I went on a mission trip to Hollywood Ca with my church group in the summer of 2016. This is a story about one of those days on the trip.