Coming Home | Teen Ink

Coming Home

November 1, 2018
By Anonymous

Have you ever wanted something so bad, that you would do anything for it? Having a parent return from deployment after being away for months or even years can one of those times. Deployment can be one of the hardest parts of being part of a military family. The feeling of emptiness can is overwhelming. Someone you use to see everyday, no longer there, to greet you in the morning. The absences of a hug and kiss goodnight can affect a little girl, who has no idea why her father left. I was four years old when my dad left for Iraq. I started to realize his absence. It was two weeks before thanksgiving and my mom gave great news, my dad was coming home. The minute the news was given I was filled with excitement and overjoyed with his returning.

I stared out my window in our kitchen with my little blue clock for hours. My mind anxiously waited for him to come home from Iraq. Impatiently I waited and looked for a green minivan to curve around the corner of the street. It had been months since I saw last him. Looking outside I studied the trees outside the kitchen window and leaves that fell from them. The leaves fell when the time was right, they patiently waited to leave, the tree, so a new leaf could grow the next year. I waited in the kitchen impatient for a man I longed to see. Three hours felt like it was never ended. The longer I stared at the clock, the slower the wait became. It was almost as if time was trying to make me upset by keeping me from my dad. I was very impatient and wanted everything to happen that very second. Then I realized that there was no point in getting upset, while I watched the seconds and minutes go by on my little blue clock. I thought to myself that he would be home soon, and maybe if I’m patient the world would bring home my dad sooner.

Every night when I was little, my dad would read to me. There were some nights where he would read me my favorite book called Goodnight Moon. I knew that meant he was leaving, but it left me with a happy memory.

“Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere” whispered my dad. Then he gave me a kiss on my forehead. He would attempt to “sneekly” exit my room, thinking I was asleep.

“I love you very much Elissa” said my dad. Before he closed the door, there was always a pause, I could feel his eyes studying me one last time before he left. I laid in bed tucked in knowing he would return eventually, but had no idea how soon that would be.

I got upset over having no control over when my dad was coming home. Every emotion I had hit me like a ton of bricks. I got angry and upset, even though I knew it did not make the situation better. I finally calmed down and patiently waited by the window. Before I knew it he was in my arms giving me the biggest hug of all time. The feeling of relief swept over me like a wave, covering me with warmth. He was home, he was safe, and he was with me.

This showed me to be patient, not only with myself but others. There is no point in getting upset at something out of your control. Ever since that day I have been the patient one in my family. In the end, watching the seconds go by each minute for three hours does not make the time go by any faster. After all, a watched clock never tells the time.  


The author's comments:

A memory of my dad and the lesson I learned.