My Stress Reliever | Teen Ink

My Stress Reliever

By oliviali5 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
oliviali5 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

Without hesitation, I plunged my hand towards my backpack. I grasped the zipper to open the petite pocket and shifted my fingers to search for my stress-relieving device. As I pried open the brightly colored package, the wrapper crinkled, forcing my classmates’ eyes to shift. This minute yet tasteful product was placed into the fingertips of my hand. I gently plopped the mint flavored, food-like substance in my mouth and was put at ease. Chew after chew, tremendous amounts of flavor exploded into my taste buds. I was aware that the erupting flavor would soon dissipate, but I continued to chomp. The product stayed intact regardless of how long I chewed. I continued to munch and was thrilled at the refreshing feeling that remained present.

As I walked into the sauna-like building, I was in awe at the stench. Although the scent was not something that was new to me, it was something that one does not get accustomed to. Body odor and strong perfume suffocated the air. I searched for an area that appeared to be better smelling; however, I was surrounded. I found my feet sliding on the floors that were drenched with humidity. I immediately regretted wearing my hair down as it started to frizz up. The day had just begun, but I was already aware that today would be full of sweaty and grumpy teenagers. As if the heat and aroma was not enough, my fellow classmates were anxious and fidgety. Classrooms full of students, including myself, who could not wait to take the test that would determine their overall grade.

As the day went on and the time I had left before my exam dwindled, I found my heart pounding and nerves shot. I could not contain the anxiety that rushed through my body. This day was a very important day for myself, as well as the other students that surrounded me. I knew I needed to get it together. This day marked the end of the second semester. Months of hard work and determination seemed worthless as I stared at my sharpened pencil, packet of questions, and scantron. With dark bags present, it was obvious that five hours of sleep were not sufficient for a sixteen year old. My eyes began to water as I could not contain the yawns that crawled out of my mouth. With my hair in a frizzy mess that was plopped on my head, it was present that I was solely concerned about getting through the overwhelming day. Thoughts raced through my mind, “What if I failed this exam? Did I study the correct material?”

I ultimately knew that I had done what I could to study and prepare. However, regardless of how greatly I prepared myself, it felt as if there was a pit in my stomach. Instead of focusing on the gaping hole that continued to grow with anticipation, I focused on the repetitive up and down motion that my jaw made. I tried to be subtle due to the obnoxious noise that was being made, but it was inevitable. At this point in the year, my classmates were well aware that chewing gum was apart of me.

As I inhaled a large gulp of air, I began to feel much more comfortable. My heart rate started to slow down and my anxiety was put at rest. My cheeks slightly rose and my dimples became present. A feeling of accomplishment flourished through my body. With the tingly mint taste still present, I concentrated on my material and was brought back to the sleepless study nights, silly acronyms made, and other memorization techniques.

My mind raced back through stressful events that I have been through and immediately remembered the one thing that remained constant, I habitually chew gum. The more I concentrated on chewing the gum that was in my mouth, the more I was able to bring attention to the important things. The material I had focused so hard on for months all came back to me, and I felt whole.  To some, this may have seemed ridiculous and absurd; however, it made complete sense to me.