Pickle Roll-Ups | Teen Ink

Pickle Roll-Ups

October 2, 2018
By danielle181818 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
danielle181818 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I walk up the ramp to my grandparents’ front door. I turn the round, golden, aged door handle; it squeaks like it always does. As I walk in, the smells of foods slam into my face.


I wonder what surprise food Aunt Sue has made this year.


I round the corner to the kitchen; grandparents, aunts, and uncles greet me with a smile and a “hello.” My grandpa, grandma, and mom are at their “food stations” just like every year. Papa is in charge of the turkey (which he  cooks to perfection). Grandma is in charge of the appetizers, her favorite job. Mom sets and decorates the table (she’ll take any chance she can to use her creative side). And me, I jump in anywhere I can!


The sound of the front door opening breaks through the kitchen chatter. Aunt Sue steps in with a Saran-wrapped platter. Instantly intrigued, Papa, Grandma, Mom, and I blurts out guesses. Each time a guess is made, she repeats the same answer: “You will have to wait and see until supper.”


The clock rounds 6:30pm—supper time. The food is brought to the table. Everyone sits down at the table (I take my usual spot next to Papa). Aunt Sue reveals the mystery food; it’s pickle roll ups: thickly sliced ham, glazed with plain cream cheese, with a pickle placed in the center, rolled up tightly and sliced into bite size pieces. Hesitant for the initial taste but pleasantly surprised by its sharp crunch and silky smooth feeling on your tongue. Now this, was my favorite mystery food Aunt Sue has ever made.