Profile | Teen Ink

Profile

March 9, 2016
By Anonymous

HELPING OTHERS FOR THE BETTER

   

“ Back in the day kids weren’t diagnosed with ADHD or OCD,” he, Mr.Delassio, says of his childhood. His youth was not the best, as he explains why him and his parents moved around a lot. They did not know how to handle his youth because of the lack of attention or health conditions--related to what Dellasio is diagnosed with.


He lived in East Longmeadow at the time and constantly changed schools from East Longmeadow, Springfield, and also tried schooling in Connecticut because of his condition--while still living in the same residency. His parents later on thought it would help to put him into a Catholic school. “It did not help,” he admits.


Adulthood, he finds out what he has a passion for. He realizes his passion for helping others with similar needs while living in Springfield. This is after he moved from Boston, Cape Cod area (1994-2002) , that he started to practice this idea.


During the interview Mr.Delassio rocks back and forth in his big chair, leans back, and puts his leg on top the other nonchalantly. He unintentionally shows the tiring look in his eyes which is noticed when he insists on moving a little closer so other students can get a good visual. The room is cluttered with the work of his students and his kids--whom he later discusses about; but the room is also very organized. Desks are in groups of four on top of them were cups with the name of his students that rests on coaster--all of the exact same. Next to them were books that were neatly stacked big to small from bottom to top.


“You like how I set up the chairs for you guys?” he spits out as soon as the class scatters around the green chairs looking for a good place sit.


Mr.D enjoys talking about his kid, Jeremy (10) and his set of 7 year old twins, Dylan and Emma. His son Jeremy who he used to take to the club he started in Minnechaug Regional High called The Lumberjack Club. He was the former president and took Jeremy to every event he threw for the club.


“He’s on the spectrum of autism. It was difficult because you would not know until he showed his mannerisms...you would think he was just really misbehaving.”  Mr. Delassio decided to step down from the Lumberjack club last year to spend more time with his kids; Jeremy especially.


This was especially was very hard him considering he started it years ago and came up with the idea based on his youth. Lumberjack for him meaning, “Kids are hard workers.” He started this club he says, “I was not very helpful to the community when I was younger.” While at the high school he also has a class of collaborative students and Career Tech.

“You would think that these kids are in here because of a problem,” he says defensively.


It was his rough childhood that led him to, “Show people that there is hope and upbringing,” for children that suffer from eating disorders, autism, and other health conditions.
   

He mentions his work in helping special needs adults for 10 years. Although he developed close relationships with some of the autistic adults, specifically in the Commons of Wilbraham, he wanted to move on to kids in the school system.
   

“It’s a stepping stone in terms of helping people.”
   

He gives a specific schedule of his doings outside of school. That includes his kids, “Homework then snacks then dinner and going over homework,” he laughs. Time to himself does not start until 8-8:30 p.m.
   

“Then I watch basketball and t.v.”
   

“If I wasn’t a teacher, and I'm not really good at sports or anything,” he laughs loudly, “I love sports. I’d wanna be those people that write about sports.” Sport Analyst.
   

“...Low self-esteem, learning disability,” he said of what he likes most about himself. H also answers with the happiness is childen--students included--give him. He gives an example of that happiness as he explains the extraordinary talent his son Jeremy has. That is to build and rebuild a 3D puzzle in less than an hour with no help from the labels on the back. His wife and him, “smart people,” struggle with his puzzle and constantly have to look at the labels on the back.
   

“Makes me feel better helping. They are great people.”