Interviewing a Foreign Woman; Interview | Teen Ink

Interviewing a Foreign Woman; Interview

December 18, 2015
By Alyssalynn06 BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
Alyssalynn06 BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The person I will be interviewing is a woman of the age of 57 named Rosane Rose. I met her when I was 11 years old, in my old town, Acton. We were neighbors for four years before I moved. My mom got close with her and so did my brothers and I. She is like our family, we love her! Rosane and I used to take our dogs on walks and go out to eat for birthdays or just tp have a “girls night”. We lived in a 4 way apartment building- we were above her. Whenever we were bored or sad we would go down stairs to her place to watch some of her old movies or eat snacks from Brazil and joke around. I picked Rosane to interview because she is a unique woman and I am close to her, I felt comfortable with her.

Rosane Rose
January 10, 1958

1. Where are you from?
Brazil

2. What was a goal of yours when you were a teen? Did you accomplish it?
To go to a College, get married by the age of 25.
Yes, I accomplished going to college and graduating. I accomplished my goals except for getting married. That happened at age 27.

3.  What was a serious/special event that occurred in your life? When did it happen?
Moving into the Amazon Rainforest I would say was definitely a big change in my life. I wanted to leave home after graduating college (in Brasil you live with you parents throughout college). It was fascinating living far away from my home town and the people I've grown up with. This town was settled in around 120 years ago, it was just starting to modernize itself. It was a mix of old and new culture, since new people started moving there from all over Brazil.

How did you face it?
Leaving home for the first time and being on my own was rough. To adjust to this, I became friends with the locals and I ended up learning a lot about my own country and about the Native Brazilians.

4. What is a dream that you have always had? Will you go for it? If not, what’s stopping you?
To become famous.. But life is funny. I realized that that had just been a dream. That I need to focus on me and my life and my family.

5. Who is someone you admire? Why?
I admire my grandfather because he always worked hard and kept our family traditions together. He passed away in 2008, at the age of 96.

6. What is something that is special to you? Why?
Something special to me would have to be being able to visit my home country every year or so. One year, my daughter, Tabitha, was able to get married in my family's vacation home I grew up at. We still visit places like that. Seeing family and friends from my past means a lot to me because they are still a big part of my life.

7. What is one of the greatest achievements you’ve made?
One of the greatest achievements I've made was starting a new life with my family here in America. I'm proud to have come here and been able to give my family a comfortable life.

8. Child(ren)? Age(s)?
I have 3 children. Tabitha, 27,  Ashley Leigh, 23, and Matthew, 19

9. Was it challenging raising children?
Raising my children was a big challenge. Not being used to American practices and norms, I raised them with a Brazilian culture. Since their father was American, he raised them blending in the American culture. For example, the language. Being new to English and not that comfortable with it, we decided that I should speak Portuguese with them, while the father would speak English. Through this, they developed both languages and are now fluent in both.

10. How is America different from your home country?
In so many ways the American lifestyle and Brazil's lifestyle is different. The foods, music, activities. The interaction between people is a drastic change. In Brazil, we are very physical and friendly, even to new friends. Hugs are the normal greeting, and passing someone and touching their shoulder for them to move isn't uncommon. The foods here are plenty and typically a bit more processed. Where I lived, though it was a city, the meats and grains were fresh and natural. There are so many differences, too many to note, but there are some examples. All in all, it was quite a culture shock moving here.

I was very happy I got the chance to interview Rosane. I learned new things like her background of her life and the challenges she faced moving from Brazil, to America. It was a fascinating story to hear and overall, great to be able to see her again. Rosanes outlook on her dreams and wants were interesting because they didn’t matter to her, anymore. Not as much as her family matters to her.. That was the best part.