Human Comedy | Teen Ink

Human Comedy MAG

By Andrew Sotiriou BRONZE, New Hyde Park, New York
Andrew Sotiriou BRONZE, New Hyde Park, New York

Life on the stage is perhaps the most volatile endeavor one can undertake. From personal experience I can attest to how difficult it is being in front of an audience. All eyes are fixed on you, and you have to be in the moment, living organically – believing in the truth of the story you are telling. I also know that comedy, be it written or performed, is the most difficult medium to master. It requires a ­degree of fearlessness that few possess: you must be comfortable with yourself to the point that, should a joke fall flat, you have the resilience to continue creating, to continue dwelling in the reality of a scene or story.

I admire individuals who pursue what they want in life, especially when the feats they wish to realize appear to them as obscure, intangible dreams.

Steve Martin is such a man, leading a life that is worthy of his childhood aspirations. He is very gifted at what he does: writing, acting, and improvising all in the name of humor, of providing us with a brief escape from the stresses of everyday life. For over three decades, he's survived in an industry where fame is known to be as fleeting as a camera flash, all the while maintaining his integrity as an artist and growing as a performer and human being.

In speaking with Mr. Martin, I sensed that he is an individual very much grounded in what's important – life in the limelight has not pol­luted his sensibilities. He can still recall being a struggling comic, and that mentality has remained with him for his entire career. Cracking an occasional joke, Steve Martin clearly showed that comedy permeates all facets of his existence – it is part of both his professional and personal life.

What perhaps struck me most about Mr. Martin was how he views himself: with resolute confidence in his work. In talking about a negative review he received for a play he had written, it was clear that he can handle the acidity of an occasional bad review, put it on a shelf, and move forward – and maybe that's why he's been able to persist while so many of his contemporaries have fallen by the pop-culture wayside.

I asked Mr. Martin, “Does comedy help you better understand human nature?” He responded that acting has helped him in everyday life to know when people are being genuine, and – at the risk of sounding like Holden Caulfield – when they are being phony. Words of wisdom from a man who in all probability is the most genuine comedic voice of his generation.

rheame said...
on May. 30 2013 at 6:35 am
rheame, Anand, Other

turn a mess into a lesson

a test into testimony

a trial into triumph
and a victim into champion

nice report!!!!

on Jun. 21 2011 at 9:47 am
Bgeekgirl24 GOLD, Bellefontaine, Ohio

Eat healthy. Excersize daily. Die anyway.

Wow what an experience and that was a really good story. Keep on writing.

Shahed GOLD said...
on Jun. 20 2010 at 1:12 am
Shahed GOLD, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"People are like tea bags, they don't realize their own strength until they're dropped in hot water "
“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway."

Love it! Great story..

Check out my work!

on Feb. 25 2009 at 9:01 pm
really great and AWSOME storey i loved it