Polar Plunge | Teen Ink

Polar Plunge

Ready, set, jump!
There was a snow covered trail leading me to my destination, Cedar Lake. Bare trees were stationed on either side of the short path, drawing me in further until a large expanse of ice came into view. Groups of people were huddled together like Eskimo near two small tents and a campfire. Approaching the group, I stopped short when I caught sight of a rectangular hole in the ice, and stared as a man had a ladle shaped stick  to clear any slush in the patch of icy water. A lady in her 40s emerged from one of the tents, dressed in a fluffy bathrobe and carrying a towel. Grinning, she approached the edge of the ice where yoga mats were strategically placed for her to stand on rather than the ice and yelled, “Are you ready?” She was answered with cheering from the rest of the surrounding crowd as she stripped the bathrobe, revealing her swimsuit, and leaped into the dark water with a splash. Shouts of laughter filled the air as her once submerged figure rose out of the water in a single fluid movement. Shivering, yet grinning, she sprinted over to the second tent  to warm up.
The history of polar plunging can be traced back to the Far East over one hundred years ago, in which the Scandinavian countries  were located. A common tradition at the time was to soak in these cold lakes and rivers when wanting to boost the immune system. It was legendary that the coldness of the river would do miracles on the internal workings of your body and allow it to grow in immunity (Thanks). Spreading out to Russia, the tradition was altered a little bit, throwing in a sauna to heat up in before and after the soaking. The Russians considered it much more effective if the body was exposed to vast differences in heat. Traveling further east, this fad also hit China. It remained the same as the Russians designed it to be: heating in a sauna, jumping in, and then warming back up in attempt to boost the immune system (Mom). After a handful of years this idea of polar plunging moved up to Canada (Canada). The Canadians however differed from the rest of the countries because they only jumped in on New Year’s Day. People started to wear costumes of sorts  (Thanks) and did it out of celebration for the new upcoming year, not for health benefits (Solar). Finally, in 1904, the polar plunge digressed to the United States. The event took place in Boston, Massachusetts, at Dorchester Bay. The water was 37 degrees Fahrenheit yet still beckoned over 600 brave souls to jump(Polar). More recently, it is common to perform the act for charity. Events such as the Plungapalooza  in Maryland invites citizens to swim in freezing lakes to raise money for the Special Olympics. In fact, the majority of polar plunges in Minnesota are dedicated to the Special Olympics (Polar). The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College collaborates to create an event every year dedicated to health equality. While the Unites States is adamant about promoting equality and awareness, the previous countries mentioned still practice it as a form of relaxation and personal use rather than for charity.
Here in Minnesota, the majority of polar plunge events are in fact, for charity. However when searching hard enough it is possible to find the few groups that jump in for fun. Now, when picturing someone jumping into frozen water, what kind of person do you think of? Probably young, healthy, and thirsty for adrenaline. The larger part of the participants fit this criteria. However, there are always people who break the stereotype when strutting out of the tents.
Erik Riese was fifty-nine years old when I met him out on the lake. Donning a red bathing suit, Erik was prepared for the icy chill ahead. His confidence oozed as he strode around the small camp, ready to jump at any moment. A lady named Rachel Gall was twenty-two and she told me about how much she wanted to re-live her childhood memories of swimming in cold lakes, and thought this would be the best option. Mo Vincent, on the other hand, had been dragged there by his friends and had no particular reason to jump except to kill time. For whatever reason, people congregate to a hole in the ice to celebrate multiple personalities and characters.
Soon after her splash, chatter occupied the area as I was directed into the first tent. Inside, I was met with towels and grass mats  covering the floor for comfort. Piles of bags and clothes belonging to the people gathered there were stacked on the left side of the tent. Stationed comfortably in the middle was a miniature stove radiating heat with pancake mix sitting beside it. The inviting space was occupied by three children who were wearing swimsuits and wrapped in fluffy towels. They were animatedly discussing sliding techniques for their adventurous first jump with hand gestures imitating what appeared to be a slip n’ slide. Noticing my entrance, one of the kids  asked me, “Are you the pancake lady?”
Not sure how to respond I simply nodded and eloquently stuttered, “Oh uh yeah, I can be. Do you want a pancake?”
He and his companions nodded enthusiastically. When I asked how many they wanted, all responded with “fifteen!” I decided to start with one.
A gust of cold air seeped into the tent as two women and a man entered, dumping their belongings into the existing pile. With excitement evident on their faces, we started up a conversation. A lady named Laura Kling said this was at least her fifth time coming to one of these events. She knew the person who organized the jump, Sveta Vold, through a biking trip they both went on. Laura adamantly chatted off our ears while undressing with the others from their heavy warm clothes, discussing the rush of adrenaline from past experiences with a gigantic smile on her face. Going all the way back to her first time polar plunging, she gushed about Sveta’s encouraging peer pressure to go through with the jump. I was informed that after each event attended, you receive a certificate from Sveta after you make a splash. She finds that the awarding process can be motivational for novices daring to accept the challenge and jump.
As a beginner there are certain steps to take before you begin your first jump. Just like before having sports tryouts of musical auditions, doubts and worst-case scenarios plague the mind. What if’s such as ‘What if I slip on the ice?’ and more commonly ‘What if my body somehow malfunctions and I freeze and suddenly forget how to swim and forget how to move because it’s so cold?’ Always concluding with ‘Well I can always jump in next time…” These thoughts always stop someone from having the most amazing experience they could have ever asked for. The adrenaline pounds in your head and the fear eat away at the once strong excitement to jump in. After attending the event a few times, I learned that there are ways to ensure a successful splash.
All participants agree with the rather harsh reality that if you aren’t going to jump, then don’t go .  I, of course, learned this the hard way. The first time I attended the polar plunge I had just planned on sitting around and watching as everyone else froze from within my fluffy warm jacket. The fabric was not only a barricade from the wind, but also from the group. (More on this?) The conviction to jump in is a must. Without this passion for the adrenaline rush it becomes tricky to connect to the cluster of people.
It is also extremely important to dress for the weather. The wind is a very important factor to keep in mind, especially because the two tents are the only barricade available on an open lake. Most wear a coat at least, but scarves, hats, gloves, sandals, towels, wool socks, snow pants, sweaters, and warm under pants are also recommended, if not a necessity. After you exit the icy water and take refuge in the sauna tent, the towel and socks become your best friends (Full). Following the chilly dip its important to warm back up and bring your body back to normal temperature to prevent anything bad like frost nip  from happening, but more importantly  make it possible to jump back in again (Are). 
However before jumping in it’s important to have the right mindset. You don’t want to embarrass yourself by chickening out at the edge, so it is necessary to be relaxed yet getting that rush of adrenaline that everyone craves. Good tips to calming down a racing heart include counting to ten, deep breathing and drinking water. These techniques are well known and used often enough that your nerves still aren’t ready to re-enact that movie-esque scene of falling into a frozen lake. Moments before I gathered up my courage to approach the daunting black water, Laura had come up to me with what I thought were words of encouragement. I was taken aback when instead she said, “If you don’t jump today, you never will,” before marching away to stand next to Sveta, who was checking her camera angle. It had become a tradition for Sveta to take pictures of the participants in their shining moment and posting them on the Facebook page  for everyone to look and laugh at afterwards (Full) .
In the end, sometimes it takes not only your determination but also someone else’s pressure and blatant criticism to do something. Often times the reason people attend this event and actually participate is because of how encouraging veterans are and really tell you how worth it the experience is. Seeing a great example of a good experience and hearing about it can be reason enough to at least consider trying it. This culture especially requires having an open mind to listen to the advice others give, as well as the reassurance your worst-case scenarios are nowhere near the actual experience. It ends up being a thrilling and daring experience to treasure always.
Participating in the polar plunge does provide with some health benefits. According to Fitness Peak, submerging in icy water for short moments of time can increase ‘hardening’. Hardening entails exposing your muscles and body to a natural stimulus, such as cold water, that results in increased tolerance to stress and sometimes disease. This was actually demonstrated by a study involving ten healthy people who swim regularly in ice-cold water during the winter (Are). After examining them following the swimming, researchers noted an increase in glutathione  and a relatively drastic decrease in uric acid levels. High levels of uric acid are typically associated with gout, but it has been long known that people with high blood pressure, kidney disease, and people who are overweight have high levels. When your uric acid levels are over 5.5 mg per deciliter, then there is a highly increased risk for a host of diseases (Are). It is recommended that you hold your breath when jumping to adjust to the freezing temperature and initial shock. After getting used to it many people recommend it as a source of healthy stress similar to exercise (Go). Overall studies have shown cold-water immersion has no negative side effects, making it a safe activity to participate in, with no fear of freezing yourself. In fact, ‘cryotherapy’  is a new and popular technique among rising and professional athletes to reduce muscle  inflammation and speed up recovery time, typically done through an ice bath (Waxman).
I had debated about closing my eyes. When looking at the hole in the ice from afar, it had seemed to be beckoning politely. However up close the dark water was extremely daunting. Shivers climbed up my back as I continued staring into the deep abyss of seemingly never ending  darkness. Grasping at the threads of  my courage, I dragged my boot-protected feet into the changing tent, mentally going through the three steps I would have to take for the perfect jump: Remove the extra clothing, go to the edge, and finally be in the water. I went tantalizingly slow while folding my clothes, prolonging my presumable doom that would occur in a few moments. The seconds ticked by, and all I had left to do was leave the warmth of the tent and face this literally cold fate that awaited me. Taking deep breaths, I unzipped the tent and let the cold air seep all around me. Growing goose bumps, I closed the tent again. My only thoughts were “Well, this is going to be colder than I had anticipated”. Mentally slapping myself, I tore down the zipper with much more intensity than I had meant to. Stepping outside, I was met with glances from bundled participants and their small talk. Sveta approached me with the words of “Oh Raechka ! You finally decided to go?” Nodding sharply, she gently guided me to the edge of the hole. Averting my eyes, I focused on settling my shoes, towel, and bathrobe in a neat pile ready for me when I emerged. Looking back, I realized at that moment that all the extra worries I had were no longer at the front of my mind. All I focused on was the water, the cold, and myself.
Vaguely hearing the surrounding people counting down, I swallowed what was left of my hesitancy and sat down onto the purple yoga mat underneath me. Three. I stuck my feet into the pool, cringing at the sudden submersion. Two. With no going back, I placed my hands on the edge of the ice. One. In a flash I slipped into the freezing water as cheers filled my ears.
It was extremely cold. I felt my entire body loose heat with every passing second, but a strong warmth of success filled my gut. The adrenaline of the moment left my heart beating blood racing for more. Laughing, at both my fear of water and the ridiculousness of the situation, I looked up to meet the smiling faces above me. Knowing there were other people ready to go, I slowly made my way back to the edge, yet somehow unwilling to leave my little personal pool. Pushing myself back out of the water, I almost fell over from the gust of wind that slammed into my dripping side. Gasping in shock, I grabbed my perfect pile, jammed my shoes on, and sprinted to the sauna.
The inside of the sauna tent was similar yet a lot different from the first tent. This space was dedicated to heat. A large amount of steam seeped around me as I undid the latch. Rushing inside to escape the biting wind, I was met with a half visible collection of towels, blankets, and people huddled near the brightly burning fire. Taking a moment to dry myself off, I donned my sweatshirt, warm socks, boots, and hat, settling down next to the congregation of people. By the warmth of the fire few words were shared, but a mutual amazement and understanding occurred between us.
After jumping in, seeing my body being absorbed by the dark water, and celebrating the moment afterwards, it is now clear to me that this icy activity  is in fact a bonding experience between myself, winter, and the people there. We share a bond created by the strongest layer of trust of our heart and soul to an abyss of water as a source of fun or relaxation. Through thick or thin this pack of polar bears  will have your back whether for the ten second jump or for the rest of your life as your friend.

This is about polar plunging