Rediscovering the Diverse World of Fashion | Teen Ink

Rediscovering the Diverse World of Fashion

By kassidy.tarala PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
kassidy.tarala PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

New York City’s Fashion Week of September, 2014 is showcasing the up and coming trends of Spring 2015. The main theme of this year’s Fashion Week is diversity, and the collections showcase the most diverse group of designers.

Some of the latest trends of Fashion Week include Giorgio Armani’s softer collection, Jean Paul Gaultier’s dark collection, and Christian Dior’s historic collection. Giorgio Armani has included softer material to lighten up the female silhouette. He has used black, white, and red to give his new pieces a bold statement. Jean Paul Gaultier’s collection is quite the opposite. He has reintroduced the gothic style through use of dark colors that are tough and dramatic. Christian Dior’s new collection is inspired by Eighteenth century gardens. It includes several oblong, pale pastel gowns with a soft, elongating shape. These designers provide only a slight taste of the diversity in this year’s Fashion Week.

Likewise, the styles and trends found in these halls are diverse. Samantha, a senior, says, “There is a lot of diversity. Some people like to dress classy, some are athletic, and others have an edgier style.”

According to Samantha, the sense of diversity of Fashion Week is reflected in the halls.

Samantha has also had her eye on some upcoming trends. “Apparently denim on denim is going to be very popular this Fall.” She says.

She reports she is expecting to see a lot of this trends. She is excited to see what everyone’s wardrobes will be displaying this Fall and predicts that Ugg boots will be making a comeback.

Rachel, another student, has a different take on the diverse fashion of the school. “Certain pieces of clothing are very uniform,” she says, “but everyone creates their own style with what they do with the pieces.” She also reports “I think we’ll see more of skater skirts this Fall.” Skater skirts have been quite popular in previous seasons, so we will have to wait and see if her prediction is correct.

Rachel says, “I really like the baggy, loose style with earthy tones.” This trend has also been quite popular throughout shows of Fashion Week in New York city.

According to these students, it appears the theme of Fashion Week and that of school really aren’t that different. Diversity is reflected in both the catwalks of Manhattan and the halls of school.

As fashion continues to change, students predict that the trend of diversity will remain the same. Whether that means classy, casual, or edgy, style creates the diversity that continues to inspire the students everyday.

As designers like Giorgio Armani, Jean Paul Gaultier, and Christian Dior continue to showcase their very different Spring 2015 collections at New York’s Fashion Week, the students are continuing to display their own diverse styles through the expression that is fashion.