Parking Ordinance Changes | Teen Ink

Parking Ordinance Changes

By Guppy15 BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana
Guppy15 BRONZE, Bremen, Indiana

For many years, on older streets across the town of Bremen cars would be parked all over the street, on the left side, on the right side, and all up and down. Being that Bremen has small streets because of our small town, there wasn’t much room after the cars were parked in the street.
As in any town, there would be accidents like, house fires, arrests, the street department (snow removal, brush pickup, etc.) and EMT calls. During these emergencies, a few seconds could mean life or death. So in the situation of an emergency the department’s apparatus would need to arrive on the scene as fast as possible. As in the case of a fire on one of these streets or somewhere near, the Fire Dept. (or EMT’s) need’s to use the fastest route possible to get onto the scene.
On the streets that have the cars on either side of the street that, it is practically impossible to maneuver a fire truck or Street Department vehicle through these roads. So, the question that everybody is asking is, how do we fix this issue without taking the places where people park away from them? So I interviewed the Chief of the  Bremen Fire Dept. Matthew Neher.
Q: When did the town board first start thinking of constructing this ordinance?
A: It was brought to the town board’s attention by the Transportation Commission. Some of the issues are that we can't get fire apparatus down some of the roads and the street department has issues with the plows and dump trucks getting by parked cars.

Q: What streets does this ordinance apply to?
A: Most of the older streets in the town that are smaller and don’t have much room.

Q: What are your positive feelings about this new ordinance?
A: By doing this it will make a quicker response time for medical personnel and fire personnel. It will also help the city be more productive and more efficient.

Q: Is there a disadvantage to this ordinance? If so, what?
A: I believe that there is one disadvantage to this ordinance, and that is, that it may be a inconvenience to the town residents.

The greatest solution that the town board is voting on at this time is, vehicles may only be parked on one side of the street. The town board has brought up this subject many times and has been deciding whether or not to vote and present this as an actual ordinance. The next town board meeting is scheduled for Monday September 22nd, 2014 at 7pm in the town hall. The town has announced it’s intentions by, letter form to all the affected homeowners, announced at town board meetings, and have posted it in the Bremen Enquirer to please attend at least a town board meeting to discuss this matter.

This would make the emergency services have easier access to residencies. If this ordinance is passed, it would allow faster and saver response times for all emergency and city employee personnel. A safe town is “A good town”.

This piece is about a town with a new parking ordinance for the safety of people.