American Dream Interview | Teen Ink

American Dream Interview

By tony24 BRONZE, Pacoima, California
tony24 BRONZE, Pacoima, California

From time to time when my father and I had spent time together he had told me stories of when he had first come to the United States and his experiences living in the country. I had to interview a relative of mine so I had decided to interview my father because of his constant story telling. He first began his story with him living In Mexico on the ranch with his Mother, Father and large number of siblings “Your grandmother usually had a hard time feeding us”.

The stories I always enjoyed hearing were the ones talked about during his life in the United States. He talked about the different kinds of jobs he had in different areas of Los Angeles. Listening to his stories made me think about the environment setting back then such as the farm field that used to be where the freeways are“ the field being called the devil’s farm because of all of the bright red tomatoes that would grow”. My father also talked about his personal experiences and perspective of Cesar Chavez’s protest, he talked about how he had to quit his job as a field worker because of the specious landowners “because of the protest I had to quit my job as a field worker” which made me think about the pros and cons of the protest.

During Cesar Chavez’s protest my father had experienced a good amount of discrimination from local citizens, he walked the streets.“ I remember walking into a public dinner and most of the people already there had stared at me as I opened the door the manager who apparently bought food from the farmers refused to serve me”