My Interview with Mr.K | Teen Ink

My Interview with Mr.K

By Edward Terrazas BRONZE, San Ferando, California
Edward Terrazas BRONZE, San Ferando, California

I interviewed my math teacher,Mr.K, who is about 60 years old. A historical event that he experienced in his lifetime was seeing both the opening and the collapse of the Berlin Wall which took place on “November 1989”. It was a painful thing for him to experience but he believed it was necessary for this wall to be torn down. In regards to this historical event Mr.K said, “I was extremely static as a German because it was the inspiration of all Germans”. At the same time he felt sad because he wanted to work in an “army camp to train” but he knew they would seize to exist as a result of the end of the Cold War. The Berlin wall was built during the Cold War, it divided Berlin in half. One side was owned by Russia and the other was owned by the U.S and other countries. The east side of Berlin was owned by the U.S. People on the east side lived in good conditions and had many opportunities to live a happy life. Unfortunately, the west side was controlled by the Soviet Union in which they mistreated their people and everything was dictated by the government. As a result people would attempt to jump the wall to the east side in search of a better life. Many people died trying because the wall was protected by guards whom would shoot anyone who they caught trying to climb it.

As a kid, Mr.K’s dream was to be the president of the United States, but his dream changed as he grew older. He has spent most of his lifetime in this country and now he has a new dream. He said,“I will try to raise a family in this country”. Since he is an older man he cannot find work in Germany,so he has decided to start a new life in the U.S. Another reason why he wants to stay in the U.S is because if he were to be a math teacher in Germany, he would be exported to a different place. According to Mr. K, he would like to stay in this country till the age of 80.

Mr.K wants to be buried in Germany or he would like for his ashes to be scattered all over Germany. However, he would not go back to live in Germany because he would not be allowed to work. He explained how he wants to stay in the U.S because he loves to teach. He said, ”I love to teach so might as well stay here till I'm 80”. He wants to stay in California as opposed to a different state for the fact that other states have different types of restrictions that he does not agree with.