The American Dream | Teen Ink

The American Dream

September 13, 2014
By Daisya BRONZE, Pacoima, California
Daisya BRONZE, Pacoima, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Growing up, I always heard great things about the United States. In my neighborhood people will always talk about what a great life you can have if you lived in America. America for me was the land of opportunities. When I was 24, I made the big move to California. Luckily for me my brothers were already here so getting settled was easy.. California was a whole new world. My brothers showed me how beautiful California can be and showed me around. They went to wealthy neighborhood and saw and heard white people with humongous smile on their faces giggling. After seeing such a sight I wanted the same for my life. I had my mind set to get a steady job and have a bright future for myself.

After a couple years I had a husband and my own family. They were my dream. After my first child, I set my dream to provide them a good future. I had a couple kids and for each I only wanted the best. My husband produced a show on Telemundo, which really give us a big financial help in our life. My husband and I would do anything to give them a good education and teach them how to be a good mannered person.

Lola did not have any problems living in the San Fernando until 1971. Lola remembers that night as, “ one of the scariest days of my life.” The earthquake had everything in the destruction and rubbish. Lola remembers her neighbors crying, gasping, screaming, and whimpering. San Fernando were in shock and in horror at the sight of their homes destroyed. Even though it was gruesome to see Lola said, “ It was the first time I saw our community united and everyone was just so focused on helping one another despite their race.”

My neighbor had a well life and believes she had a pleasant life because in her words, “ The world was much simpler back then and was easy to grow up i’m, but today there is much discrimination, racism, and hate against each other.” Even though my neighbor never faced any of these acts she feels sorry for this generation and all we have to go through to fit in and have peace in the world. Lola is very grateful her kids have not grown up in the world today what it is teaching and going through.

Lola had a different view of the American dream while growing up. At first it was to come to America and give her a better life, but after it was to give her family a better life. Lola says, “My opinion of the American dream is to have a family and watch them grow up to be good people in this country, but in one word the American dream is a family.” Lola is now in her late 70s and believes she has lived her dream. Lola says is she passes anytime soon she will have no regrets because she has nothing else to do for her family and is happy where she has guided them to be.