Everyone Has a Diverse Perspective on the American Dream | Teen Ink

Everyone Has a Diverse Perspective on the American Dream

By Juliana Ruiz BRONZE, PAcoima, California
Juliana Ruiz BRONZE, PAcoima, California

I never had the time to realize how much death can complicate a person’s whole life or even an event as small as a dream. I have substantiated that the death of my step grandfather had to do with the drastic changes that occurred in my step dads life, dreams, and career, but in his case not just death reversed his plans for the future but also the experiences that occurred while he was getting his life started.

Everyone’s idea of the American Dream is offbeat, depending on the type of person you are or where you and/or your family came from, what you believe, or your ethnicity. My dad explains to me that his dream was to come to the United States, work and make enough money and go back to his home town in México and create a business. This surprised me because the life he has currently is nowhere near what he wanted his dream to be , and that was what startled me.

While interviewing my dad about his American dream I asked him “What events changed your life drastically?” and he told me that the death of his father reciprocated his life immensely, and not only his life but his dream and career. Ever since that event occurred, he stated it changed his way of thinking and decided to stay here in the United States. He also explained to me that another reason why he stayed here was because he heard that the United States was a suitable place to raise children and to get your life started again and that was what he wanted to accomplish.

It came to my attention and I wanted to know what are some artifacts he has presently or has seen people with that would have helped him back in his days as a kid or teen or simply just a helpful item he wished he had (technology wise), and he told me he would have liked to have the form of the internet that we have right now. The internet would have been easier to communicate with family outside of the state/country. I understand and in my opinion that would be something a good amount of people would have wanted to have that because that simply makes communication easier. But I believe if they did have the internet back then the community will be as it is today not active and always on their electronics’ maybe it’s a win for both sides but the only reason my dad would have liked the internet before was to communicate.

People have/had different hobbies as a kid back then and right now. In my dad’s case from when he was a child to right now his pastimes have commutated radically. For example, he said that when he was a kid his pastime was playing soccer and marbles and now it’s fixing up old cars for shows. His idea of pastime or hobbies have changed a great amount, from how now a day’s a great deal of children’s pastime have changed from outdoor sports to always being on their electronic devices or activities that don’t involve doing something physical.

Many people have their different opinions on the American dream. I told you about my dad’s and how his American dream changed or how his new one stared. You must not give into the opportunities or experiences people tell you about or tell you to follow if you don’t want to. You are capable of creating your own American Dream and succeeding in it.