Stalkers | Teen Ink

Stalkers

Stalking is a crime, and it is a result of an illness occurring most frequently in the male population. Though it is punishable with up jail time, but it has been proven to be treatable with different modes. Stalking is unwanted or obsessive attention to another person, often related to harassment and intimidation, according to Wikipedia. The behavior of a stalker may include following the victim in person or monitoring them online.

Stalking is a crime under the laws of all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Territories, and the Federal government. Less than 1/3 of states classify stalking as a felony upon first offense. More than 1/2 of states classify stalking as a felony upon second offense or when the crime involves aggravating factors. Stalking is a criminal offense punishable by jail time and is used in psychology, psychiatry and as a legal term. While it is a crime, it is also often a symptom of mental illness. Stalking is a crime that can happen to anyone, no matter the gender being male or female, race, sexual orientation, economic status, location, or the people you associate yourself with does not mean you are entirely safe from stalking, according to Victimsofcrime.org a nonprofit organization that promotes victims' rights. They train professionals who work with victims, and serve as a trusted source of information on victims' issues, while addressing all types of crime.

“An obsession which could lead to much more than just “I Love you”, its something that takes time and can consume your life, this is dangerous for everyone around you and a crime,” said Mrs. Colon the iSchool guidance counselor. Stalkers have the motivation to stalk from affection, a dislike for your relationship with another person, or a breakup they felt should not have happened. This usually is the one of the main motivations a stalker has to feel that this person belongs to them and only them.

Women are most often stalked by partners they were once with or dated briefly rather than a total stranger they meet on the street. According to VictimsofCrime 66% of female stalking victims and 41% of male stalking victims are stalked by a current or former intimate partner. Stalkers form a habit of showing up at your home or the place you work without consent; they send you text messages, letters, emails and leave voicemails. Stalkers tend to give gifts and presents you don't ask for, and on a regular basis call you and just hang up. They use social networks and high tech equipment to track your every move, spread rumors about you to other people being through a social network or through a friend.

Stalkers wait at places where their victims hang out and try to track them through their friends or family; an example of this is when the person constantly is looking through their Facebook page via a different page. Creating a fake account with someone else’s information and picture is another way for them to anonymously gain and receive more information about their victim and what they are doing without them knowing. Taking things to a more dangerous level is another sign someone is a stalker; this person can cause harm to a victim’s home, car , other property, and put their family in danger just to get what they want. Most stalkers are men in between the 35 and 50 who plan out everything they do, there is no specific way to look or act to tell if someone is a stalker because every stalker is different and does not look or act the same. Research in the United States and Australia on stalkers who have entered the criminal justice system suggests that at least 50% of this group experience some sort of mental disorder, personality disorder, schizophrenia and other psychotic disorder, depression, and substance use disorders being most common (McEwan et al., 2009; Mohandie et al., 2006; Rosenfeld, 2004).

“Stalking is an unhealthy attachment to something or someone,” said iSchool guidance counselor Lizzette Colon. She explained how stalkers don't feel this is unhealthy but on the contrary it’s the total opposite, these people feel that it's normal to think they only like them or only love them but they show all the signs that lead to an obsession.

The Seattle Times tells the story of Ludeen, who has been stalked for more than 18 years. "I'm now 31 and I was 13 when this started happening. I've been through it all," she said, "My guard is up." This is very common for stalkers.

A specialist who was handling Ludeen’s case said “Stalking can last as much as 20 to 30 years.” This can leave an emotional toll on not only the stalkee but also their families, there are many things to do in order to get a stalker to stop but in the case of lundeen the stalker didn't follow the restraining order and tried to see her any way. Taking drastic measures like Ludeen did in being enrolled in the state's address-confidentiality program where they move her far from the stalker and keep her monitored while still allowing her to live her own life.

If you have been stalked its best to try and record conversations with the stalker and forward it to the local police station, you should never respond to their calls or emails. Another way to be safe around a stalker is to talk further with a local station and report these suspicious activity because police departments take this very seriously, they will open a case and advise you on what to do if they try to contact you again. If you know who the stalker is tell them and it would be much more easier for them to help.

Dr. Farnham, a mental health professional from the guardian.com said, "look at the cycles and patterns of behaviour. What gets you into this situation where you're offending? Let's unpack that. Usually the perpetrator turns up and he's very disparaging about the victim. It's all about how the perpetrator sees things… So it's, 'OK, how can we stop this stalker going back into prison?”. Theste doctors start looking at the victim and the impact stalking has had on them emotionally and physically. This is a programs to help better assist these victims, he treatment are led by psychologist, and are given to the stalker and victims as either a community order or of parole. This program is based in London, and follow the treatment system there.