Fantastic Footsteps: The Legacy of Sheila Bowens-Bratts | Teen Ink

Fantastic Footsteps: The Legacy of Sheila Bowens-Bratts

April 7, 2014
By Zarria Bratts BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
Zarria Bratts BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sheila is a student, mother, wife, and employee. She is from a small town in Washington County, NC. Sheila graduated from NCCU (North Carolina Central University) in 1991 with a degree in criminal justice, and is currently working at the Durham County Youth Home. She is currently attending online school at the University of Phoenix for her Masters Degree in Public Administration. Sheila has been happily married for twenty years, she is a proud mother of two, and also grew up in a large family of fourteen children.

“She’s a go-getter,” said her oldest child, Ashley. Sheila has poured her knowledge and wise words into many people over the years. She’s taught her children, and her husband, many vital life lessons. Sheila has always focused on good morals, education, and treating others the way she wanted to be treated. I interviewed her husband of twenty years, Claudius, and he stated, “I’ve learned how to love, how to be less selfish, how to be a giver, and how to look at things in a different light.” This is just one of the many things she has taught her family.

Sheila has also worked very hard in school, and at home with her family. She’s always been there for her family, and she manages to keep up with her school work. I can’t quite figure out how she does it, but all I know is that whatever it is, she gets it done. “Education, good morals, and hard work will open doors,” this is a quote from Sheila herself.

I’d like to draw this feature story to a close by saying how proud I am of my mother and her many accomplishments. She managed to get herself out of a small town and turn herself into the successful hard working woman she is today. I really hope that her tremendous legacy of hard work lives on for generations and generation to come.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.