Shailene Woodley Grabs the Lead in Divergent | Teen Ink

Shailene Woodley Grabs the Lead in Divergent

January 20, 2014
By Erin Novak SILVER, Colgate, Wisconsin
Erin Novak SILVER, Colgate, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The book Divergent is about sixteen-year-old Tris who has to choose between five Factions: 1.) Candor, for the honest, 2.) Abnegation, for the selfless, 3.) Dauntless, for the brave, 4.) Amity, the peaceful, and 5.) Erudite, the intelligent. Tris is forced to make the choice between family and what she believes will affect the rest of her life.

Simone, a junior in high school, says, “I think Tris is a very interesting character. She is very brave.”
Veronica Roth, the author of the book, says, “During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris, and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together, they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences.”

This movie’s main character Tris is played by Shailene Woodley.

Shailene Woodley has had lots of acting experience including The Secret Life of a American Teenager, The O.C, and award winning Descendants, where she was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Madeline, a junior in high school says, “her acting is terrible in the Secret Life of the American Teenager.”

Simone says, “I don’t think she is that great of an actress. I don’t know how she is going to play Tris because Tris is a very complicated character and she (Woodley) is not a very complicated actress.”

Tim Hayne, from Moviefone, reports, “I want people to know that Tris is normal and that she’s not a superhero. Maybe she’s an action star just because of the definition of that, but she’s not a superhero. She’s a very normal, young woman who is trying to figure herself out as well as trying to help her community. “

In the book Divergent, Tris is a very small, wide-eyed girl. The character has blond curly hair and thin face and a long nose. Woodley, who has brown hair in real life, dyed her hair blond to fit the part. Woodley also is five foot eight inches which is taller than her character Tris would be.

Simone says, “she doesn’t look like how I pictured Tris…she doesn’t fit the physical description of Tris.”

The Divergent trilogy has sold millions of copies worldwide. This trilogy already has a huge fan base and the movie has not yet come out.
Actresses such as Kristen Stewart and Jennifer Lawrence were the headline in every magazine when Twilight and Hunger Games hit the theatres and so now the question is this: is Shailene Woodley the newest female actress fad?

Woodley, knowing the instant fame that will come from the movie, almost didn’t take the part of Tris.

Entertainment Weekly’s, Sara Vilkomerson reports, “I said if this movie is successful, things will change and I don’t want that.”

Divergentfans.com reports Woodley saying, “I actually forget there is a fan base. But then I talk to a publicist who’ll say, ‘If this turns out to be a Twilight or a Hunger Games, this or that might happen’…But you can’t think like that.”

Simone says, “I think she will become the next Kristen Stewart; but, not the next Jennifer Lawrence. I know she has done other big movies so I think she is on her way to that (kind of fame).