Dhanteras Revelry | Teen Ink

Dhanteras Revelry

By Adnaan SILVER, Lucknow, Other
Adnaan SILVER, Lucknow, Other

1- Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
2- Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The bright light, the sparkling of diyas, the colourful rangolis, everything mark the coming of the most beautiful festival, Diwali. Dhanteras and Diwali are the most auspicious and popular festivals in India. The grand festival of lights, Diwali, begins with the Dhanteras, which is considered to be the first day of fete. Dhanteras is the day of worshipping wealth as the ‘Dhan’ means wealth and ‘Teras’ means 13th day of the month Ashwin. Dhanteras is also celebrated as day of health because of the birthday of father of Ayurveda, Dhanwantari. Since buying anything on Dhanteras is actually associated to women, they are the luckiest one since the entire festival turns out to be women centric.

When talked about Dhanteras to our Lucknowities, we came out with different thoughts:
Says, Ganesh Sahu, a businessman, “As dhanteras makes the beginning of the festival Diwali, our preparations gets in full swing. New attires, buying sweets and gift items are prime attractions. On this day we buy jewellery and utensils. Lighting diyas, making rangoli designs and footprints of Goddess Lakshmi and offering prayers in the evening is what Dhanteras about.”

Dipika Srivastava, an event organiser, says, “Dhanteras is a festival to buy new utensils, jewellery, etc. It is done to please Goddess Lakshmi. But I feel that by helping others the true meaning of festival comes out. So, I leave no moment in helping others. Then Lakshmi Puja is performed when the tiny diyas are lit to drive the shadows of evil spirit. Hymns are sung and sweets and fruits are offered to Goddess Lakshmi.

Abha Chaturvedi, a housewife, says, “Dhanteras is a very special festival for us. We clean our house and decorate it. We buy new utensils, jewellery and if required, any electronic gadget also. Then in the evening we start making rangoli including the Goddess Lakshmi’s footprints to signify the arrival of her. Diyas are lit and dhan lakshmi is welcomed into the house. Devotional songs and hymns are sung and sweets are offered to her.”
Mahesh Kannaujiya, a student, says, “From the morning only, I start preparing for prayers which has to take place in the evening. I along with my parents go for shopping and prepare rangoli in the evening. I love spending time at home helping my parents. Then in the evening we lit the diyas to drive away the shadows of evil spirit and then Lakshmi Puja is performed and sweets are offered to her. Later I love hanging out with my friends.”

Reading this article people will get to know about the festivals and unity of India.