Teen Mother: Vet L. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown

Vet L. has been my
friend all through school, and is one of the strongest people I know. She has given me great
support, and I love her for being there when I need her. I feel it is important to share
her story.

Vet, what was life like for you as a
child?

Life was fun. I was always very loved, even without my father
around. I was somewhat of a troublemaker, but I have a lot of good memories to show for it. Being a
child was the best time of my life.

How have your childhood
years affected who you are today?

I was raised by very strong,
supportive people. My mother and sisters have a lot to do with who I am. I also learned many
lessons, good and bad, growing up which have made me a strong adult. They have helped me realize
what I need to do to be happy.

My mother has always been the best person in my
life. She has never let me down, and has always been very supportive. Whenever I needed a friend,
she was one. My sisters have also been there for me. When my mom was getting her college degree,
she would be out late, and my sisters stepped in and played mom. They are my best friends and give
me great advice.

What life lessons have you
learned?

Take every moment for what it is, never take anything for
granted. Make sure you let everyone know how much you love them, and accept them for who
they are.

What have been some of your biggest trials, and how
have you overcome them?

The biggest trial in my life was when I got
pregnant sophomore year. It was a new road to travel. I didn't have to get over it, I had to accept
it and learn to adapt.

Another trial would be trying to get over the love of my
life, my baby's father. We were engaged, but things went the other way. I had to learn to love
myself more than I loved a man.

Who helped you during your
pregnancy?

My mom and sisters were everything I needed them to be - a
mother, sister, boyfriend, best friend and father. All my friends were there for me, I could cry to
them whenever I needed to. I'm especially thankful for my mom. It was hard for her to deal with two
pregnant children at the same time. The dad and his family were also there, which was
a blessing.

When a bad situation comes up, what do you
do?

I try to find the best way to deal with it. I am often faced with
issues in my school about my race. It is not easy to keep your temper, but you have to try
to understand why people are upset and angry. I try to find a way out without hurting anyone, or
myself.

How has being so small and pregnant affected your
body?

It has worn me out. My body is stretched in places I never knew
I had. My hips are huge, I won't be a model again anytime soon. Being pregnant so young has
emotionally drained me. I have so many things to worry about now, and my emotions are like a roller
coaster. One minute I am happy, and the next depressed. I never spend time on my appearance, I'm
always focusing on my baby.

What do you do to deal with
stress and depression?

I eat a cucumber and go to bed. I figure it's a
healthy alternative to chocolate.

Were the characteristics of
the baby's dad the ones of your dream man?

Not by a long shot. But
then again, is there really a dream man out there, or is it a childhood legend? He is a beautiful
man, and I would marry him if things were different. He took care of me when I was pregnant. He
loves me and his baby with all his heart, but it wasn't enough for me to sacrifice what I needed
from him, or any guy that I want to spend my life with.

Do
you ever feel that having a baby has stopped you from your goals or
dreams?

I always wanted to be a cheerleader, and that won't happen. I
also miss out on a lot of freedom. No one makes me come home on time, and I probably wouldn't
normally, but I now have a responsibility to my baby.

What is
your favorite part of having a daughter?

It is so hard to narrow it
down to one thing. I love the way she looks at me and admires me. She lets me feel so much love.
She is innocent and pure, even though she can be a handful. The best part of being with her
is watching her go through every stage knowing there is somebody who
loves her.

What are your plans for the
future?

I am going to be a lawyer. Down the road, I hope to move out
of Utah.

What are some of your future goals and
dreams?

I want to start small. First and foremost, I am looking
forward to graduating from high school. I eventually want to get married. Having a father figure in
my baby's life is important to me because I missed out on that.

I want to start
modeling again, and I hope to keep up with my dancing and singing. It is also important to keep
family traditions for me and my baby.

What is your
favorite quote?

"What happens in the dark will come out in
the light. "There is nothing that you can try to hide without it coming out sometime. It
is important not to hide anything from yourself or anybody
else.

What advice would you give
teens?

Take things slow, and be a kid as long as you possibly can.
Don't expect everything to be perfect, and make decisions for yourself. Live life to the fullest.
Love yourself first, and everything else will fall into
place.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

TurtleShellTristani This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Great questions and answers. you didn't focus to much on the bad, you brought ot the positive. you should be a reporter

check my stories