September 11, 2011 | Teen Ink

September 11, 2011

November 2, 2011
By Amandeep BRONZE, South Hackensack, New Jersey
Amandeep BRONZE, South Hackensack, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee


She said it was an ordinary day. The sun was rising up and it was toasty outside. It seemed to be like any other day in September. The birds were soaring over head representing freedom and our ability as Americans to be at the top of the world. Yeshwinder Rani, a permanent resident of the United States, had come over from the now very fast growing country of India just over a decade ago. To her, America represented almighty power of the people, protection, and a great country to start a family in.
It was Tuesday, and Rani was preparing her two sons to go to school. She walked the two to boys to the school doors, looked in their eyes, and said, “I love you.” Rani told me that, that day there was a weird feeling, she felt an existence inside of her that was screaming out something was going to happen. Now I don’t know if this was a just mother’s intuition or just plain luck, but she was right. Something enormous was going to happen, something that would change the way every American thinks.
Yeshwinder dropped of the two boys at 8:30 and made her way home. As she twisted the door knob and opened the door all she heard was that one of the twin towers was struck. Rani thought to herself that it was an accident and moved on. Then at 9:03, the second plane crashed. A million things were running through her brain, but the one that stood out was that this was an attack. She went over to the phone and called all of her relatives that lived in the city.
Then the pentagon was hit. At that insistence she knew something was going down. She didn’t know if she was safe, but all she did was think about her kids. Yeshwinder drove over to the elementary school and demanded that her kids be released. Once they were, she went home, sat down with the kids, and watched the TV in abomination, horror, and disgust. She couldn’t reach her husband on his phone. She said, “There were so many possibilities for why he didn’t pick up.” She later found out that all communication devices were shut off.
Mrs. Rani could see that people were jumping off the World Trade Centers because they didn’t want to die a slow, cruel, and miserable death. “Jets were flying over head, landing at Teterboro Airport, and then taking off again. One of the jets was so close to the ground that you could see the pilot’s facemask and helmet. “All I remember thinking about was that we were not going to give up. The US government will protect us. That pilot restored a little bit of hope in me that day,” said Yeshwinder.

All of these acts of the terrorists lead to the War on Terrorism. It was also declared on 9/11 that America would make those pay who were involved in this scheme. People in the United States and especially New York are now being aware about their surroundings. Since alleged terrorists had the same type of skin color as Indians, Rani and her family are be discriminated against. “Just like any other Indian all of this goes in through one ear and out the other,” Rani said. “We keep our heads high because we didn’t come to this country to put our heads down, but to grow and expand our wealth.” This isn’t just a war on terrorism, but it is also on discrimination.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.