Interview of Daniel Weisler | Teen Ink

Interview of Daniel Weisler

May 15, 2011
By ABEWEISLER BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
ABEWEISLER BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

1.
Could you tell me a little bit about yourself?

My name is Daniel. I was born March 14, 1969 in Lansing, Michigan. I lived on a 26 acre farm with chickens, sheep and horses. Sometimes I had to pick a chicken up after my dad cut its head off for dinner.

2.
What did you want to be when you were a little kid?

I wanted to either work in the FBI of the Secret Service. I also wanted to be a artist or cartoonist. My favorite artist at the time was Charles Schultz, who wrote Charlie Brown. Later, I liked Calvin and Hobbes, written by Bill Waterson.

3.
What, and when was your first job?

My first job was at Chick-Fil-A when I was 14 years old, cleaning and wiping tables during winter break. I would always get a free meal during break.

4.
What did you major in at college?

I had a full-ride scholarship to junior college, where I majored in Art. Then I went to BYU and got a bachelor’s degree in fine arts.

5.
You became a project manager, even though you studies fine arts. How come?

While I was still in school, I became the part-time assistant field engineer to my dad, for a major telecommunications company. The a company called Lucent Technologies offered me a full time position as a deployment engineer.

6.
What do IT Project Managers do at Grant Thornton?

Information Technology project managers implement information technology projects. There are two different types of projects; software and infrastructure. A recent example would be when I helped all 5,000-plus employees in our company get new state of the art laptops with new Windows 7 operating system.

7.
If you could switch to any other job, which job would you pick, and why would you pick it?

I would really enjoy being a children’s book author and illustrator., because I’k have more control over my schedule.

8.
What would be your advice for anybody trying to pick their career and join the workforce?

Do something you won’t get bored of doing for a long time! Also, know how to work and cooperate with anybody because that’s very important.

The author's comments:
I wanted to learn a little bit more about my dad, and thought others would be interested.