Dylan Lautner: Ordinary Person, or CoD Machine? | Teen Ink

Dylan Lautner: Ordinary Person, or CoD Machine?

By MFox738 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
MFox738 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The movement against the background is his cue to crouch behind a parked car. He raises his gun of choice, the Aug, and focuses in on the figure scrambling across the road, preparing for blood. He pulls the trigger, the vibrations tend to throw other’s accuracy off, and they miss the kill, but not him. He stays cool and calm like the silent killer he is. He waits for the blood to squirt, for the body to fall limp on the ground. Then he knows it is time to move on, time to find the next victim, and time to continue the kill streak.

Dylan, during the day is nothing but an ordinary boy going through the redundant motions of life. He wakes up, dragging himself out of bed at 6:25 am and into the shower by 6:30. He drudgingly walks down the steps to his kitchen and flips open a box of cereal. After getting the usual morning nourishment for, he brushes his teeth and heads out the door for school. He lets the day float by as most other boys at the age of 17 would—not focused entirely, just wanting the final bell to ring, signaling the end of school. And, when that bell finally does ring, Dylan perks up. The bell means wrestling.

Wrestling for Dylan is something he does and has done. It his is athletic passion. But he also has another passion, one that he shares with millions of others.

Call of Duty is a war video game series, the goal being to get as many kills as you can against the other players you are gaming. There are different game modes that you can play, however. Dylan’s two favorite ones are “Domination” and “Gun Game.” He also plays “Team Death Match” from time to time.

Call of Duty came into the life of Lautner when he was a sophomore in high school.
“It was such a big deal, I just had to get it,” says Dylan.

Dylan purchased the newest CoD installment at the time, which was Modern Warfare Two. Slowly, Dylan made himself a perennial powerhouse. He started as a Noob—someone new to the game—usually does. He wavered under the pressure of performing in front of his peers online. But, once he got his footing, he improved until he finally made his big break.

Once, while playing team death match, Lautner let loose. He had 57 kills on only five deaths, making his kill-death ratio—the most important stat line in CoD—11.4 for that game. The next closest person had 19 kills and a 1.5 kill-death ratio.

From that point on, Dylan made himself known. He went from tournament to tournament, racking up kill after kill, getting his ranking to 74th in the world. When avid gamers see the gamer tag, “DilbertTheTank,” they know they’re in trouble.

But it’s not all fun and games for Lautner. He says CoD is an outlet and a stress reliever.
“My self esteem gets better when I just shit on kids during games.”

He also thinks CoD has a connection to his social life; it helps him develop friendships. In fact, his best Friday nights consist of gaming until 3:30 in the morning with his close friends, cyber bullying the living crap out of them with his words and his quick trigger until they get sick of losing.

For now, Dylan is satisfied with being a nighttime gamer.

“A sponsorship would be nice, but I’m just focused on wrestling and school for now, using CoD to get me up when I’m down,” says Lautner. Either way you look at it, the kid has a knack at wreaking havoc. If you’re ever online playing some CoD, beware of the gamer tag “DilibertTheTank.”