Advice Column

Dear Teen Editor,
I am writing this letter to you because I don’t know what to do. I am really scared that my use of Ecstasy is out of control. I feel pressured by my friends to be part of the drug scene. I see people in the media using drugs for pleasure. When I’m high on drugs, I forget all my problems and school is unimportant. I’ve dropped out of sports and i do whatever i can to get money for drugs. I read your column before and know you talk straight to teens. Can you help me please?
Sincerely,
Desperate

Advice Column Response

Dear Desperate
I’m glad you wrote to me, because drug addictions are very risky. If you don’t get on top of them you are in a very complex spot in life. Peer pressure is a main factor in a lot of drug users life, but what teens don’t understand is that if there really your friends they will accept that you don’t want to do something or don’t agree in using drugs, that might be something to think about? Also you might think your problems are going away you actually adding more issues in your life, like how will quit what if don’t in time? School is a top priority in a teens life you need an education for anything you want to do, if drugs are changing your outlook on school maybe go she the school consoler or take after school programs to catch up? Also some places you can call or go online to get assistance are;
Ø
Alcohol/gambling/drug addiction unit- 519-424-4500 ext: 5370
Ø
Kids help hotline- 1-800-668-6868
Ø
ClubDrugs.org
Ø
Freevibe.com
Ø
National youth Anti-drug media campaign
Ø
GHB. INC
Ø
Or even talk to a trusted adult. Counselor, parents, friends
I dentify the problem
D Iscuss the options
E valuate
A ct
L earn

Leonard Folarin said...
Dec. 31, 2015 at 8:32 am
Social media compared to traditional media has turned to a 2way dialogue... Where many talk to many.. Not just to broadcast and print media.. But the government too.. Who use it to gather ideas an disseminate information.. (Leonard Folarin, 200L dept of Masscomm , Caleb university, Lagos.)