Interview with a Singer | Teen Ink

Interview with a Singer

Singer Renee H.

What do you do for a living?

I am part of a singing group that mainly sings songs from the 1940’s WWII era. The Andrews Sisters are the group’s songs that we sing along with many other classics. The group usually performs for WWII veterans and family of the veterans. We also have sung in theaters, restaurants, airports and schools.

What personal sacrifices have you had t o make for this job?

Well the biggest one would be spending time with the group rehearsing or performing instead of spending time taking care of my family. But it pays the bills and my family understands and supports me.

Are there any bad habits/fears that you’ve had to overcome for your job?

Definitely. My business requires me to call people on the phone. Since I was little, I’ve had a fear of calling people on the phone. I still to this day don’t like it, but it has to be done.

How much control do you have in planning your schedule/ work week?

Actually I have all the power over controlling my schedule. Because I’m the group “president” I can say if we can or can’t do a show. But most of the time, we take whatever we can get.

What is your man goal right now for your job?

My main goal is to expand our business. The other two members want to go to more theaters and play with more big bands. We also want to fine tune our act and maybe change it up a little.

How important are friendships at your work?

They’re pretty important. The friendships I’ve made over the years gave our group more opportunities to perform. It’s also really important to be nice to the people, so that we might get another job there.

What would you tell people pursuing this career?

Don’t give up. Since I was little I’ve dreamed of becoming a singer. It didn’t happen right after I got out of college, I didn’t get my dream job until I was in my 40’s. You have to work hard and practice a lot, but after seeing the joy on some peoples faces after you perform, it’s so worth it.