Career Interview- Computer Engineer | Teen Ink

Career Interview- Computer Engineer

Ever wondered what career path you would like to take? There are countless jobs in this world and being exposed to different types of jobs might just help you pick a career. I’ve brought in Vincent to interview him about his career. Vincent is currently a computer engineer. He was born in a country in Asia and lived there until after high school. He was then accepted at a graduate school in America and moved there. He majored in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE).

How did you get your job?
I sent my résumé to a consulting firm right after graduate school and then they submitted it to a company who needed experience which I had because of my previous jobs.

Why did you choose this job?

My job is related to my major and it involves up-to-date technology which interests me. I also thought that this job looked very promising and could be my career for the rest of my life.

What other careers might you have pursued? Why?
A musician because music can influence people in a positive way and I enjoy writing and making music. Being a musician requires creativity and is challenging, inspiring, and not the least bit boring.

What advice would you give to someone going to high school or college?
Consider the career and the work you'd like to do instead of just making a living. In other words, pursue the career you want, not for the money.

What were some factors involved when you chose your job?
A good salary, 9-to-5 schedule, and not much overtime work required, so can have more time with family or pursue some other personal interests.

What would be your second career choice and why?
A musician because it’s one of my hobbies and I’m also pretty good at it. I play guitar and I also sing. I started playing guitar in high school and was in chorus in junior high. I have even written some music for church. One of my albums has even been used by a Chinese music ministry to help people after 9/11.

What do you like about your job?
I work for a big company with a good reputation. I am also satisfied with my salary and the fact that my job involves working with the latest technology.

What don’t you like about your job?
The place I work at is a big and old company, so the work might not be that challenging and more incentive a like new or start-up company. Because I work at a large company, it’s hard to get recognized for your accomplishments.

How does your job affect your personal life?
It supports me financially. My job also involves the latest technology so I have many opportunities to test new technology like the iPhone, iptv, etc. I am also one of the first people to test new devices/ gadgets and software. My job has exposed me to people with different cultures and backgrounds and I appreciate the diverse environment which has helped me understand and work with people with different mindsets and skills.

Was this the job you envisioned having in high school? Why or why not?
In a way, yes, as my high school set me up in some engineering career path, besides, I'm good at math/science that is highly required for good engineering program in college. But in other words, this early engineering setup program might limit my opportunities and choices as I could have chose to be a musician like I mentioned earlier.