The Life Changing Game | Teen Ink

The Life Changing Game

January 11, 2010
By Lindsey Day SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Lindsey Day SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

House was the game. Emily is her name. Can one game change her life? Did one game change her life? Can one game leave a scar? Yes.

Emily, 15, was playing house with her cousin when she was six. It started in Emily’s room. Emily was the kid and her cousin was the mom.
“Of course, my older cousin got to be the mom and boss me around,” Emily says.
She was ordered to clean up her room and the hallway by her cousin. In the hallway, there was a brick table standing upright.
“I remember hearing my cousin yell ‘LOOK OUT’, but I couldn’t react fast enough.”
The table fell. It hit Emily. And down she went. Emily fell down the marble stairs.
“I was in a lot of pain when I hit the ground.” Emily says.
Her shoulder felt like it could have been out of place.
“I thought I was going to die it hurt so bad. No joke. I thought my life just flashed before my eyes. Then again, I was only six.”
Emily was rushed to the hospital. Her shoulder and arm were broken in several areas. Many kids break bones and a cast is all they need. But not Emily.
“They told me my arm would grow fine after it healed. But they were wrong.”
Emily had surgery. Emily still had broken bones. And Emily needed a prosthetic arm. Her doctors said the breaks were so bad that her arm could not heal on its own. She still has her real arm, but inside is prosthetic.
Today, Emily still has problems with this arm. One game of house. One big scar. One tremendous change.

The author's comments:
We had to do an interview for my class. I chose to write a paper on my friend Emily who had what I thought a very original story.