Big Families Pose Opinions | Teen Ink

Big Families Pose Opinions

January 11, 2010
By jgosz20 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
jgosz20 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many think that big families present multiple challenges that are hard to overcome, but living in a large family can be beneficial as well. Senior Sara, 18, is a prominent example of this case and agrees that having a family of seven has its ups and downs.


“It’s crazy in our house,” said Sara, “but I like how there’s always something going on, which makes life a little more interesting.”


Although large families can face difficulties such as a lack of privacy, crammed spaces, and numerous disputes throughout the day, Sara would agree that some of those stereotypes aren’t always true.


“There’s enough space for everyone unlike most people think,” said Sara, the oldest of her four other siblings.


Having a large family can be beneficial to its members as well. With more people in the house, there’s always someone to talk to. Also, there’s always someone to help you with your homework and take you places if you’re a younger sibling. If you’re older, you’ll probably have more freedom since your parents will most likely focus on the younger kids.


It’s often thought that kids get sick of their siblings after being together all the time, but Sara said it’s easy to escape the chaos of a busy house.


“We do get sick of each other sometimes, but hanging out with friends on the weekends is a really nice escape,” she says.