A Normal Guy | Teen Ink

A Normal Guy

January 5, 2010
By apl2gs BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
apl2gs BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Steve, 18, is a normal guy. He was in marching band, and he is planning to go to college to be a biologist. He appears calm, cool, and collected. But this is because of Electroshock therapy.
Steve says, “A few years ago, I woke up and felt a little crazier.”
He says it felt like “being high for the first time.”
He wasn’t just the normal hyper child. He was insane. Imagine a 12 year old on energy drinks mixed with espresso, only worse. He was wandering around, and speaking gibberish. Steve was seeing things with trippy colors.
“The thoughts were happy,” he says.
This outburst of craziness continued for two weeks.
His concerned parents didn’t know what to do, so they took him to the hospital. The doctors could not find anything physically wrong with Steve, so they suggested an experimental electroshock therapy. Though drastic, his parents agreed. And Steve was shocked.
“The shock level was half way between a pin prick and a Taser,” he says.
Steve’s craziness went away after a couple of days. Having a clearer mind enabled him to explore new possibilities.
Steve says, “I seem to be sort of an evil genus now. Sometimes I have crazy thoughts, but I overcome them. The thoughts before were happy, and that’s the best way to be.”