June B | Teen Ink

June B

January 3, 2010
By Brett Bohan BRONZE, Marcellus, Michigan
Brett Bohan BRONZE, Marcellus, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What is your earliest childhood memory?
I suppose it's the Wartime. I remember having to live in shelters and be schooled in shelters. I also remember living in an American Camp. I used to go to the mess hall and eat a piece of bread with ketchup on it, because I'd never seen ketchup before.

What is you most interesting memory?
I guess it was taking a ride on a jeep with some Yanks. I was young then, about twelve at the time. It was the coolest thing then. We went over a bridge, and all four wheels left the ground. I think I left my stomach back there that day.

What was it like to live in the U.K.?
It was scary, there were always bombs dropping. We had to sleep underneath the table. Food was being rationed at this time. We only got two 2 ounces of margarine and one egg a week. It didn't feel like we were missing out on anything though, you know. We always were able to manage with what we had, we always had a meal.

What was it like to live in Canada?
I liked it. I was twenty-two? Twenty-one when we came over here. It was nice living there. Everyone was friendly, and it was quiet.

What is an interesting experience you had while living in another country?
Oh, looking for work was interesting. It was 1955 and there was no work.
So what did you end up doing?
Well I did work in a restaurant. I also worked in a canning factoring and I did some tomato picking. I did what ever I could, you know? Mostly manual labor.

Did you prefer either country to the U.S.? Why or Why not?
I liked how Canada was then more. It was quieter and friendly. Now new nationalities are entering and it's no longer Canada. You always have to be watching over your shoulder.

Give an example of a time when you felt you went above in beyond the call of duty.
Well I used to steal apples from the farmers all the time. I'd take them to the wounded G.I.s in the hospitals. I got my butt kicked quite a few times for that.

If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be and why?
I don't think I'd like to be anywhere else. I'd just like to be where I am. It's quiet, friendly, and safe. There are a lot of things to do here for kids and adults. There are things to do for everyone. And it's very pretty. Canoeing is good and swimming.

Who has been the greatest influence on you? Why?
Oh this is a fun one. My greatest influence when I was kid was Roy Rogers. I just thought he was the greatest thing going.

What is the most difficult decision you've ever had to make?
I have to say putting one of my dogs to sleep. That hurt.


If you had the ability to invent something or fix one problem in the world, what would it be and why?
I think that I would fix the employment problem.

What is your favorite book and why?
A small, tiny book I have on Roy Rogers. It's just so normal.