Inspirations for Band Directing | Teen Ink

Inspirations for Band Directing

December 22, 2009
By BenWar GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
BenWar GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Deanna is 17 years old and knows her ways around triads and chords. She can play all 12 major scales on the flute and has great music theory insight.
“Music-you gotta love it,” she says.
Deanna started the flute in the fourth grade in her birthplace of New Jersey. The career for music has begun…
In seventh grade she made the big move to Wisconsin. In high school, Deanna partakes in Marching and Pep bands, MYSO, Key Club, DECA, and acting in school plays. These add to the 3.7 cumulative GPA. Her goal is to get accepted to UNC and U.W. Madison.
Majoring in physiology and music education, her career will be conducting for high school students. It will be easy with her background as field major for marching band. This means conducting in four or 4-4 time signature shouldn’t be a problem.
“The fact is I’m a band geek.”
Deanna is found in the band room chilling with the band geeks or nerds as many people would say. She is there before school, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th periods, and after school. Her inspiration for music radiates from the band director, Mr. P.
“He's pretty much amazingness. He has so much knowledge of the music field, and he's so much like fun to hang out with. Just talking to him is like talking to a friend that’s my age. He's always got some new piece or music for me to see or hear,” says Dee, her nickname.

From the first down beat of the Holst Suite to Markowski Instinctive Travels, Deanna’s flute playing is unsurpassed by many. She continues to wow audience members with her piccolo and flute solos in Wind Ensemble and Solo and Ensemble.
Deanna is currently practicing for music program auditions. With all of the hard work and dedication to music, she will be able to reach her dreams and beyond. I am proud to be her friend…


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.