A New Life | Teen Ink

A New Life

March 22, 2024
By merylmesenbrink BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
merylmesenbrink BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The plane shakes violently as we land in Wales, England. I have now arrived at the house I would live in for the next two years. School would start tomorrow, I would be the new kid like I have been my whole life. The constant moving has forced me to learn to be present and not dwell on the things that could’ve been. 


Tears no longer fell from my eyes, moving from place to place was normal for me. I wondered what my friends were doing back in Houston. I wondered if they were on their way to the movies or if they were all having dinner together. I wondered if they were thinking of me.


Once we arrived at our house, we unloaded the car full of boxes. I hung my posters up on the wall; my room was much bigger than my last one back in Houston. I imagined my best friend and I playing our guitars in the big space; if only he were here right now, this wouldn’t be so bad. This move was by far the worst one yet. Back in Houston, I made so many friends. I met Veronica there, and I couldn’t stop thinking about her. Phone calls back to the States were expensive, and I hadn’t started a job yet. If only she were here right now, she’d find a way to comfort me and ensure I knew everything would be okay. I didn’t know when the next time would be that I would see my friends, but I knew it would certainly feel like centuries. I got into my new bed and slowly drifted away, back to Houston, where I felt safe, back to Veronica's arms, and back to the place where I belonged. 


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece based on an interview with my grandpa.