How to make a Quesadilla | Teen Ink

How to make a Quesadilla

By 5haas BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
5haas BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

“Quesadillas are an effortless snack you can whip up in five minutes. They are extremely versatile and can be as simple or complex as you want,” Meryl Mesenbrink who was introduced to the art of quesadilla making by her friend, Brylie Walos, a quesadilla maker of ten years. “Brylie brought a quesadilla to school and had me try one. I instantly fell in love with them. This was about two years ago.” 

Since then, Meryl has perfected her quesadilla-making in these simple steps. First, you have to purchase your ingredients. “Tortilla shells and cheese are the two necessary ingredients, other than that I love to dip mine in sour cream and guacamole.” There are no “real” measurements to the craft of quesadilla making, Meryl ascertains her measurements.  

Turn the burner on high, put your skillet on the burner while you prepare the rest of your ingredients then take one of the tortillas and put it in the hot pan while you put cheese in it and then chicken, or whatever you prefer to put inside of your quesadilla. Some common ingredients in quesadillas are corn, beef, chicken, ham, beans, peppers, etc. Next, take the other tortilla and put it on top of the cheese and chicken then wait for the cheese to start melting and the bottom tortilla to start browning. At this point, take a spatula and flip the quesadilla in the pan. Let it cook for a few minutes, till golden brown, then transfer it to a plate that you can cut on and cut your quesadilla in whatever shape you want; Most people prefer triangles. Serve with sour cream, salsa, or any other ingredients you prefer for dipping.

I am a junior at Arrowhead High School. I wrote this piece after I interviewed my friend Meryl on how to make a quesadilla.