How to Make Guacamole | Teen Ink

How to Make Guacamole

By merylmesenbrink BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
merylmesenbrink BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Have you ever wondered what to bring to a family event? The most delectable snack that will bring smiles to every face is guacamole and chips. According to Gabby Haas, who has been making guacamole for five years, “Guacamole is so easy to make, you can make it for any occasion or for a quick afternoon snack.” 

Gabby’s family has had guacamole at every party. Gabby’s first time making guacamole was with her dad when she was ten years old. After a few times with guidance, her dad let her make it all alone. She now has her favorite way of making it and everyone who tries it says it’s the best guacamole they’ve ever tasted. 

In order to make guacamole, you’ll need a knife, bowl, spoon, cutting board, lime, three avocados, ¼ teaspoon of cumin, ¼ teaspoon of salt, three jalapenos, half of a white onion, and ¼ cup chopped cilantro. Finally, you’ll need tortilla chips, Haas’s favorite are Kirkland Tortilla chips from Costco. 

First, de-skin the avocado and add them to a mixing bowl. Using a spoon, mush it all up. Then, dice all the ingredients and add it to the mixing bowl. One commonly made mistake is not cutting the jalapenos and onions small enough. This will make the guacamole too strong and very spicy, so make sure that the onion and jalapenos are equally diced. Then, add the spices, stir vigorously until all the ingredients blend together. Another mistake is not mixing in the spices well enough. You will know it is not mixed up well enough by no longer visibly seeing the spices. Gabby says, “If too much of an ingredient is added, you can add more lime to fix the flavor.” Finally, dip the tortilla chips into the guacamole and enjoy this delicious snack.

I am a Junior at Arrowhead Union High School