Composure | Teen Ink

Composure

February 12, 2024
By masterking48 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
masterking48 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Something that is a useful skill in life in essentially any circumstance: communication. Knowing how to communicate effectively is something that can put you ahead of someone else. Although we often don’t like doing so, knowing how to handle an argument is an essential skill.


Getting better at understanding arguments for the four years, Dylan Kadlec is someone who has gotten good at the skill of being in an argument. The exact definition of an argument on google search, “an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.” (Google Search) Focusing on the last part, “typically or heated one.” Arguments can be scary and often can damage relationships with people. But understanding how Kadlec thinks during arguments can really help us all.


Kadlec started focusing on arguments in 2020, meaning he has been working on this skill during the last four years. Kadlec is self taught, which is surprising considering the weight this topic can have. 


Now that we have all the basics out of the way, let’s dive into Kadlec’s tips and understand how to keep your composure during such an encounter.


Kadlec openly acknowledges that an argument can go wrong. His best tip is to be open minded and not assume. What he means is put your feelings aside for a second, ask questions, and just learn more. He also suggests listening more than speaking, and actively think about what you say before it is said. Although Dylan acknowledges that you need to be calm and collective when listening to others, he believes that you should stand up for yourself as well; speak your beliefs. While asking Kadlec about arguments, he said that you shouldn’t say sorry, and that you can’t control what other people say. If people get really heated, that is out of your control and don’t take it personally.


“During an argument, you have your opinion, even though the other person might have a valid point.” Understanding how to keep your composure, remaining respectful, and standing up for yourself with these tips just might prevent the conversation from getting out of hand.


The author's comments:

Interview about arguments.