Humans of Parrsipany | Teen Ink

Humans of Parrsipany

By Michaelrc BRONZE, Paarrsipany, New Jersey
Michaelrc BRONZE, Paarrsipany, New Jersey

"We were a small family in Columbia. It was just me, my sister and my parents, it was just the four of us. I have my aunts and uncles, they're pretty close. We are a big family. Every single weekend or every single day we were able to be seen playing games in the streets. When I finish high school I went to the Seminary. I saw how the priest in my hometown was there for the people, you know, and he was helping them, you know, in the ministry. That was my first encounter with faith. One of my friends I studied with back in Colombia somehow ended up here in Newark and one day he emailed me and said in Newark we are looking for new vocations. I ended up saying yes and I went. That's how I ended up here. I was afraid because at first there was a language barrier and I wasn’t able to communicate myself. I spoke Spanish all the time. As soon as I took the flight everything just flipped from Spanish to English. I was afraid. sometimes you know you're not able to communicate. It's very hard after a couple months and years. The hardest things in my life is that many times you know my family members they pass away and I wasn't able to go it's not a regret you know I made one decision. But sometimes it makes it hard when you are far away and when somebody passed away and you are not able to be there because you know I have to stay here. I wasn't able to leave the country for about 3 years and during those years I had two my cousins pass away and that's something that was very hard for me. I don't regret being here but sometimes you think it is worth to leave behind your family because you have to go away. You are the priest of the family. Why are you not here? You know if you are the priest you support but we need you here. Sometimes those questions make you wonder, you know but besides that I don't regret anything. You know I see my self down the road in 3-5 years here at Saint Christopher. Get this community back in track you know. But the future, you know, is here how I can build up this community."

This was from a priest from Cololumbia that moved from his family because of his faith.