Humans of Parsippany | Teen Ink

Humans of Parsippany

By JamieJam BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
JamieJam BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey

"I lost my mom, it’ll be…14 years in November, and she was the most fun, most wonderful person. She just cared about everyone and would always think about everybody else other than herself. So, I would think she’s definitely the biggest influence. I feel like I was a lot more selfish when I was growing up and she was just the best. When she was going through cancer, it was so awful but she was never thinking about herself in that, and she was always thinking about how it would affect my brother, me, and my sister. So I always try to keep that in mind when she always helped out everyone. Like everybody! She was like, universally loved by everyone. It like, made me feel like, ‘alright, I-I need to re-evaluate what’s important in life.’ It sucks that I lost her so, so young, but if there was one positive thing about it, it’s that I’ve helped so many other people now. I have a really rewarding job in that way because I work with caregivers and help them, it just really makes me feel like I give people more chances because you never know what they’re going through. My mom went in for a backache, and it was like…cancer had spread. When my…I was going through it like, I had all these friends who kept asking me if there was anything they could do, and I just didn’t really take them up on it because I just thought it was always my responsibility and people really want to help and it makes them feel good about helping. So that’s what, like everything my mom taught me.” (Parsippany, NJ).

Less about the grade, more about the person.