Humans of Parsippany | Teen Ink

Humans of Parsippany

“Self-consciousness is bogus.  I don’t like my name right now, just because it doesn’t sound like other people’s names…Oh, you’re going to hate this, but I have something to show you, ‘kay?  I’m such a white girl.  I got a Stanley.  My parents took me in REI four or five months ago, I chose a Stanley.  I could have gotten a brand new Hydroflask, I could have gotten a new Owala bottle, I could have gotten a Nalgene for goodness sakes!  And I got a Stanley.  I don't want to get rid of it, ‘cause it was really expensive.  It's terrible. It leaks. It's big, and I have to keep it upright all the time.  The one thing it's great for is carrying it around.  It's a statement, people see me with a Stanley, ‘Oh she's a Stanley girl.’  It means I fit in with the girls at my school.  When I go to school they’re suddenly nice to me, it is very weird, but at least they like me.” (LJA, Santa Fe, NM)

These are my cousin's words. She lives nearly 2,000 miles away from me, yet I find her thoughts easily applicable to my own environment. If you don't feel like you fit in where you are, keep going, be awesome, try to be comfortable with yourself.  You're amazing. Don't conform to society.