Anesthesiologist Albert Silmons | Teen Ink

Anesthesiologist Albert Silmons

By Shaina Daniels BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
Shaina Daniels BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois

Albert Silmons is a 32 year old anesthesiologist. Albert graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2003. Albert has been working at Monroe County Hospital since 2004. He has 5 years of experience.

Why did you want to become an anesthesiologist?
I decided to become an anesthesiologist because my father always wanted me to go to medical school. He wanted me to make something of myself. We sat down together while I was researching college majors and decided that an anesthesiologist would be the perfect job, considering both what my father and I wanted.

What are some of the things that you like about your job?
I like that I am able to change people’s life. I like that I can give patients hope right before going into surgery and support them afterwards. I enjoy working with people and I have always wanted to be a doctor, this job satisfies me in every way possible. I enjoy going to work every morning, no matter how tough of a day I have ahead of me.

What are some things you don’t like about your job?
I don’t like that I can’t pick and choose my own hours. I need to be there when they need me to be, whether it’s three in the morning or three in the afternoon. That is basically the only thing I would change, I wish I could work a nine to five job like most other people. That is basically the only thing I would like to change.

Would you recommend young students to becoming anesthesiologists?
Yes. It takes a lot of hard work in order to get through all of the schooling, but it is definitely worth it. I get paid well and love what I do. I think that most young people who want to go in to medical field would love this career.

How does your job effect your view on life?
Because of my job, I appreciate life more. I see people who are dying every day, but they persevere every day, too. I also know that if I do become sick, there is most likely a cure and I can trust my fellow colleagues to try as hard as they can to see that I become well again. That is their job, as well as mine.

How does your job effect your view of people?
Seeing people come in and out who are barely making it through their days, it inspires me to do my job better. Because of them, I succeed. Therefore, I see new people as inspirations. My friends, they became my support.

If you could, would you change your job?
I wouldn’t change my job. I think that everyone wonders what it’s like to experience other jobs, but I am honestly happy with what I am doing and where I am heading down the road. Like I said before, this is the perfect job for me. When I eventually retire, I’ll miss working. Doing what I do has been life changing.

on Jun. 1 2011 at 10:50 am
Brittbyheart SILVER, Yucca Valley, California

No matter what you do in life, in the end, the only person that will take impact is you.

I am looking into beconing an anesthesiologist. My aunt and sister are both in the medical feild and the rest of my family is either teachers or some construnstion worker. I originaly thought of becoming an anesthesiologist just because I wanted the money (and was bragging to everyone as a complete joke), but now, since I programed my brain to "wanting" to be one, I really do want to be one, not because of the money but becasue of the actual job. This article was cool to look at and made me want to become one even more; to help people in need. Thats my biggest dream in life, to help others the way most people cant.