Spreading Her Knowledge | Teen Ink

Spreading Her Knowledge

March 28, 2009
By Anonymous

Feb. 19—Florida— “I know I have helped, but more importantly, influenced many students through the years… I have changed many lives for the better, and that's what made my job worthwhile,” says Mrs. Rogers, a retired middle school teacher. People’s childhood are influenced by many people. Some of the most prominent ones among them are parents and teachers.

Growing up, Mrs. Rogers had lived in a place where education was limited and career choices were few. Becoming lawyers or businessmen were areas of study that were not known as possibilities for women. She attended a municipal school that cost only $8 a semester. “I decided to teach because it was available and one of the common opportunities that allowed one to be married, have a family, and work,” Mrs. Rogers recalls.

Mrs. Rogers, now retired, started out teaching at age 21 in a school in Brooklyn. Then she decided to start a family. After many years, three kids, and a business career, she went back to teaching. A year later, she came to William R. Satz, in Holmdel, NJ.
Mrs. Rogers really puts her heart into teaching. She was often faced with frustrating experiences when students just didn’t seem to understand the lesson, but she never gave up and just taught and taught until the kids understood. Many times, students were also too chatty. “I recall a certain seventh grade honors class that never stopped talking. Can you imagine? It was VERY FRUSTRATING!” she tells.
“Several years ago I had an eighth grade honors class that was assigned to do a rap dealing with Victorian times,” Mrs. Rogers describes a memorable time when a creative groups students had been given an assignment from her. This group was to do an oral report on 19th century music. One of the students had arranged everything with the music teacher and the custodial staff so that when the day arrived to present, there was a piano at the door! Then he began to play music from the nineteenth century. Some of the students even began to dance! “What a pleasure to behold this scene!” The performing projects were Mrs. Rogers’ favorite part of class. She loved seeing the creativity of students at work and always encouraged them to think outside the box.
In her 27 years of teaching, Mrs. Phyllis Rogers has influenced countless students. Even after graduating from her class, students would often return to visit her. Teachers such as her are the ones that help shape our world into a better place by starting with the future generation.