The Truth Behind Superheroes | Teen Ink

The Truth Behind Superheroes

April 12, 2018
By KelseyGriffin BRONZE, Sllidell, Louisiana
KelseyGriffin BRONZE, Sllidell, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever met a real, living super hero-- like the ones in the movies? Have you ever met someone who just seemed like nothing could ever hurt or stop them at all?


To me, a superhero is courageous, kind, and strong-- mentally and physically. They run toward the danger to help people instead of running away from it. They run into the fire, into the gun fight, and into harm’s way just to be able to help others. These people almost seem invincible.


I see heroes everywhere from the policemen that fight for the safety of so many strangers to the husbands and wives that love their family unconditionally; however, a superhero is different. A superhero is born a superhero. They are born to help people every day, everywhere they go; and something about this way of being born to help makes them seem indestructible. They are immune to the hardships of life


He was a policeman for as long as he could remember; being a policeman, he has curved death many times. I have always loved hearing his stories about getting shot multiple times, and feverish car chases. He would always catch the bad guy and save the day in the end. He is Paw.


Before he is a policemen, though, he is a father and grandfather. Even when he wasn’t saving the day as a police officer, he was saving the day at family gatherings. I can remember a family friend, Jacob, crashing the four wheeler during Easter Sunday lunch one year, and Paw was there to save the day. He was the calm in the storm, but at the same time, he was the center of attention.


In early February of 2018, Paw got diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, which is scarring of the lungs. About two weeks after this diagnosis, Paw broke his back. With this combination of  health problems, Paw could no longer walk or sit up. Having lead  a very active life  up until this point through fishing, running, biking, and working out, Paw became depressed quickly.


Now, the house is no longer graced with his cheerful stature, booming laughs, and loud presence; but instead, the room is filled with dull light and sadness, and for the first time, Paw seems old. He was always the life of the party, and he seemed to never age. Now, this sickness has taken over him like no one ever thought anything could take over Paw. Watching this sick, invincible man fighting to survive is the most real thing I have ever experienced.


There’s a point in everyone’s life where those people that you perceive as unstoppable and strong become older, weaker, and ill. You realize that there are no real life superheroes like the ones we read about in books and see in movies that have super powers and cannot die. Every human is susceptible to the curveballs that life throws. Everyone dies, and realizing that is the first step to growing up. I did not take this step toward growing up until this past year watching Paw become almost completely immobile.