Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

March 12, 2018
By claire11 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
claire11 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I would just like to start off by saying welcome home.
I understand that when you returned to the United States, you were not greeted as a hero, but rather, treated with outright disrespect. When you returned home, it was to a country torn and doubting if the war had been worthwhile. To a resentful society that seemed to not care about you, or trust you. I am profoundly sorry for that. I can’t even begin to imagine what it felt like to be regarded in such a manner, but no veteran deserves to be treated that way.

I would like to thank you personally, for the incredible sacrifices you made for our country. I am nearly 18 years old now and about to go off to college. I can’t imagine what it must have been like, when you were my age, to instead be leaving your home to go fight in a war. It takes a tremendous amount of strength and courage to leave everything behind for your country.

When I was younger, my family took a trip to Washington D.C. and spent a day surveying the veteran memorials. I remember wandering along the long reflective wall of the Vietnam memorial, in awe of how many people fought for our country. Seeing all those names, and thinking about how many people were lost, it’s an experience I will never forget. Even at a young age, I had great respect for you and your fellow servicemen and women.

Recently I had also watched the Honor Flight Movie and was deeply moved. I am glad to know that you were able to see your name on that wall and were finally given the respect and praise that you deserved all those years ago. I hope you know I am eternally grateful for your bravery, and our country would not be what it is today if not for you and your fellow veterans. The people of the United States will be forever in your debt and we will never forget the impact you have made. Welcome home!
 

Sincerely,

a thankful high school student