Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

March 12, 2018
By polevault22 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
polevault22 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,

I know that when you came home, you did not receive the thank you that you deserved. I cannot even imagine going through what you had to go through. You were a brave, courageous individual, and you sacrificed everything for out country and the least I could do is give you the thank you that you deserved.

I just turned 18 three months ago. Being 18 now makes me realize how real it is. I could serve for my country just the way you did. I am writing to you because I watched the Honor Flight video and wanted to make a difference.

All veterans deserve thanks, however, I feel Vietnam veterans especially do because of what you had to go through when coming home to your loved ones. Few people agreed with the United States involvement in this war and for some reason, took this out on Vietnam veterans. Not only was this horrible, no veteran should ever be treated with disrespect. You deserve all the respect in the world. You are a very brave, strong, committed, and courageous person and you deserve to have the recognition.

It is hard to hear stories from the homecoming of Vietnam veterans. When I think of a homecoming, I think of loved ones waiting to see their soldier. Crowds of people gathering just to say thank you. The horrible part about this is that Vietnam veterans did not receive this and that is why, more than any, I wanted to say how thankful I am.

I am truly thankful for your bravery, courageousness, and your sacrifices you have made. I hope you had one of the most memorable and fun filled days of your life because you deserve it. I would love to be the first ones to say, welcome home!

Thanks you for your service,

Mark