Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By Writer6170 PLATINUM, Sussex, Wisconsin
Writer6170 PLATINUM, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

“The Soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of the war.” (Douglas MacArthur)

I want to say welcome home.I wish I was there to give you a hug and say thank you in person. I pray you are overwhelmed with love and joy from everyone there supporting you.

My name is Taylor D. I am a senior in high school. I am writing to you today to show my gratitude and appreciation for the sacrifices you made. As the quote above says, “it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of the war.” I can’t imagine all the emotions of sadness and feeling anxious. The pain and suffering of your time in the war, and time coming home and not being appreciated. I am thankful that you sacrificed your life for all of these emotions and hard times so that we could have freedom.

My great grandpa served in WWII and was in the Air Force with the Jolly Rogers. Before he passed away he completed his museum which he made in his basement. He re created the campgrounds and planes he flew, he had a wall of all of his comrades. He also wrote a book about his experiences while serving. He dedicated his life to sharing his stories. I can’t imagine all the stories you have with your comrades and what you have told and showed others about your time serving.

I wish I could hear your stories, and be with you to know what you went through and truly show how thankful I am. You have made this country a safe place for me to grow up, and your service has contributed to the endless opportunities that I can encounter. No words can express how much gratitude I feel for you serving. I know from hearing family members speak about the war that there were experiences that you will never forget and you remember them daily. I can’t imagine that feeling and the moments that you can’t forget, replaying in your head.

Thank you for all that you have done and I pray that you have found peace today, once again welcome home.

Taylor D.