Dear Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Veteran

March 12, 2018
By TimidPlatypus GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
TimidPlatypus GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
19 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,


In class recently, I watched the Honor Flight movie and it was touching to see what the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight was doing for those who served our wonderful country. So, I felt like I needed to contribute something to the cause. My grandpa served in the Korean War and he just passed away in June. One thing that I regret is not letting him know I was thankful for his service. Because I cannot thank him any longer, I want to thank you for your bravery, tenacity and determination, and welcome home.


My name is Trevor and I am 17 years old. I am a senior in High School and I plan to attend college at UW Waukesha for my first two years of college, then transfer to UW Milwaukee or UW Madison to finish school and get a nursing degree.


It’s hard to put into words how much veterans give up to serve and there is no way I can explain my thankfulness for what you have done. So, I want you to know that my thank you goes beyond the words “thank you.”
I was in Washington D.C a few years back to see the memorials and explore the monuments and it is miraculous how many have served our country. I felt a fresh appreciation for the sacrifice veterans make to better our country. I am appreciative for those who have served because you left behind your life to ultimately help a cause that wouldn’t be able to experience until you got home. Being in a different country fighting for people back home, many of whom you don’t know, while American citizens continued to live their normal lives couldn’t have been easy.


Patriotism is defined as vigorous support for one’s country and the highest form patriotism one can show is to serve their country. It seems like patriotism is only prevalent when there is a war going on. Kind of like only rooting for the Packers during the football season. And being a veteran, I like that you always carry that patriotism with you. With my 18th birthday coming up in June, I will be getting the selective service card so if there ever is a draft again, I may have to fight. It is crazy to think that in just three months, I could be overseas fighting like you were years ago. I don’t recognize the full worth of sacrifice you gave in the Vietnam War, and that could be me fighting soon.


Again, words do not do justice for my thankfulness for your service, and I hope you get the welcome home you deserve that was non-existent when you got back from war.


  Sincerely,
   Trevor