Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

March 12, 2018
By mrc99 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
mrc99 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Vet,

I’m Morgan. It’s nice to meet you! I am a senior in high school. I’ve seen the Honor Flight movie and was inspired to write a letter to a fantastic veteran like you. Additionally,  military service runs in my family which makes this special for me. My grandfather served in the U.S. Air Force. Stationed in Alaska, he worked on various aircrafts (and, as he tells me, ate lots of french fries with his buddies!). My great-grandfather served in the U.S. Navy. Discovering photos of him in uniform has changed my perspective on how impactful a veteran’s service truly is: a man or woman’s service carries on much longer than the length of their tour.

As I’m sure you’re aware, this world moves so quickly. Finding time to slow down, breathe, and reflect is rare. Being a teenager in today’s world can be challenging and frustrating, as I see how wrapped up my generation is in technology, trends, and social media. Turning our backs on the important things in life such as love, family, and hope, we lack gratitude and appreciation for those who’ve come before us… for those who have given up themselves for the betterment of this country.

I believe that there is no greater love than a man laying his life down for another. Being a part of  something larger than yourself is scary and difficult. I can’t begin to imagine being a part of something as large as the military. To say a soldier is vulnerable is an understatement; soldiers are true heroes, fearlessly placing others first.

For me, thanking a veteran is so much more than “thank you for your service.” It’s “thank you for allowing me to be who I was made to be- a daughter, sister, musician, writer, and friend.” I am so thankful for you and your heart to serve this country… to stand up for the country that built you is nothing short of admirable. You have given (and continue to give) your life for the ones you love, all so they may not sacrifice what it is they love. Veterans like you haven’t been shown the gratitude and respect that is due and I think it’s time that changes. It is time that you are welcomed home.

God Bless you and your family,

Morgan


The author's comments:

The Honor Flight program offers flights to Washington D.C. for veterans so that they may be able to see the various memorials that were created in their honor. On the flight back home from D.C., the veterans recieve envelopes filled with letters from family members, friends, and community members. This letter will be included in a veteran's envelope of letters.