Thank you, Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank you, Vietnam Veteran

By mes_lax611 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
mes_lax611 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

The first question that is probably going to pop into your head is “Why is a high school student taking the time to write to me?” To answer your question, I watched the Honor Flight movie and was intrigued by what the community is doing for our veterans. Along with that, I have around seven family members in the military and I appreciate your service as much as I appreciate theirs.

I chose to write to you, a Vietnam veteran, because both of my grandpas were a part of that war. One was a radio operator for the planes and he received seven medals and seven ribbons for his tactics to save soldiers. The other was in the Reserves as a chef for the soldiers and drove the truck to transfer soldiers around because he was the only one that knew how to drive stick. Along with that, my great grandpas and cousins are also members of the military. What was your role in the war?

As I think about the stories my family has told me about their military involvement, I begin to wonder what stories other people have from their experiences in the military. What was it like for you? I can’t even begin to imagine what is it like to drop everything and leave your family behind for the military. With college approaching, I know I will miss my family dearly. How did you deal with the sadness of missing your family and friends?
The Honor Flight is an experience that no one should take for granted. It is something that my grandpas did not have the chance to be a part of before passing. I hope you enjoyed your day visiting the memorials and talking with the other veterans. I can’t say that I understand how you felt visiting them, but I can say that I am grateful for everything you have done.

Last, but not least, welcome home. My grandpas were affected by their welcome home, as I’m sure you are as well. I hope that you finally get the well deserved welcome home when you land. You deserve it more than you may know.

Sincerely,

A grateful student