Thank You Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You Veteran

March 12, 2018
By claudiarcurtin GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
claudiarcurtin GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,

The Fourth of July has always been my favorite holiday; the fireworks, cookouts, and getting to dress all patriotic. But throughout America, the meaning of this holiday is lost throughout the day. We forget that we wouldn’t be able to be celebrating all the things that we love without brave and honorable men like you. The fact that I get to live in and be a part of a country with so many kind-hearted and dedicated people in it, makes me proud. People like you make me feel a little bit of gratification every time that I get to tell someone what country I’m from or every time I write down my address and get to write USA.

I’m writing to you because you don’t get told enough that what you did for this country matters, and that I think about it every time I stand for the National Anthem or The Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of the school day. Being around the same age that you were when you joined the military, makes me realize how tough it must have been. At this point in my life, I can’t picture leaving my friends and family and going across the globe to fight and go through what I’m sure that you did. Thank you. Thank you for putting your life on the line so I can enjoy mine.

My grandfather fought in World War II and I know that he enjoys telling me his stories, the good and the bad. I don’t think he always realizes that not only am I willing to listen, I enjoy hearing his stories as much as he likes telling them. Passing down these stories are important because it ensures that history is never forgotten. I would love if I could be a keeper of a little bit of your history. If you ever have a story that you never want to be forgotten, I’m all ears.