Thank You Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You Veteran

By Hmcase GOLD, Hartland , Wisconsin
Hmcase GOLD, Hartland , Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Welcome home. I’m sure your experience in Washington D.C. was terrific. I hope you can see that the horrible welcoming you had years ago, is not the same as today. I want to personally say thank you for your service and your true sacrifice to this country. Without men and women like you, the United States would not have the same rights and freedoms as we do today. Thank you.

I’m writing to you today, because it is your special day. It is your homecoming. I am well aware your homecoming after the Vietnam war was not ideal. You are a hero, a leader, a role model for this country and I want to thank you for your sacrifice.

I have had family members who have served. As a kid, I believed the heros were the ones in masks and capes. But no, the real heros are the ones who have to leave their lives, families, and country. The real heros are the ones who wear that flag over their heart. You are that hero. Both my grandpas were in the Air-Force, and both were accountants of some sort. I also have two cousins that are/was in the Marines. One of them is a police trainer for the marines, and the other did two tours to Afghanistan. I have heard their stories and the way you veterans put your life on the line every single day is incredible. I will forever be thankful for what you have done.

Thank you. And welcome home, hero. The legacy you have left will not go unnoticed. I hope your trip to Washington was unforgettable, and that you know how much I, and everyone around you appreciates what you have done. God bless America, God bless our soldiers, God bless you.

Thank you for your service.

Written to a vietnam veteran