Thank You Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You Vietnam Veteran

March 12, 2018
By slothgirlflips PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
slothgirlflips PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
25 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

From what I’ve heard from other war veterans having the opportunity to experience the Honor Flight, you probably just had one of the most exciting and honorable days. I am a senior in high school and have been working in a nursing home for a year and a half. Many of my residents are also war veterans, many from the Vietnam War. I am aware that when you Vietnam Veterans came home, you were not properly welcomed. Some of the Vietnam Veterans still feel unwelcomed, distant, and ashamed today. My name is Tatum, and I want to personally say, welcome home!


I recently turned 18 years old, the age you were drafted into service. Becoming an adult has recently made me even more thankful for my friends and family, and most importantly, realize I still depend on them. It depresses me that when you were drafted, you lost this. You lost the physical connection you had with loved ones, and when you came home, it’s probable you lost the emotional connection as well.


Drifting away from close friends and family can occur naturally over time to anyone, and no matter the case it’s always sorrowful. This sometimes cannot always be prevented, but what can, and should always be prevented is treating others with disrespect. I want to personally say I’m sorry for the way your friends, family, and strangers may have treated you when you came home. I’ve heard horror stories on how Vietnam Veterans were pushed, shoved, ignored, and spat on. Nobody deserves to be treated this way; nevertheless, one who was drafted into service to serve our country.


Coming home from war more than 40 years ago, veterans felt lonely, lost, and liable for the outcome people considered a lost. Previously as seen in WWII, there were liberators, bringing flowers to veterans, to thank and celebrate their bravery. Veterans like you were not thanked. If anyone deserves a celebration, I think it’s you. Because when you came home, you were still living in fear, facing challenges everyday. To survive, you not only had to be brave during service, but also once arriving home.


Today as the society is more informed, we know you were only serving our country and serving as your duty in the Vietnam War. Although there is nothing you or I can do to change the past, we can try everything to change the future.


Now that you are home, I pray you are only treated with love and respect. I pray your relationships and connections with friends and families grow stronger. I may only be a stranger in high school, but I have all the respect for you in this free country we live in. Again, I want to say welcome home, and encourage you to celebrate the way we should have 43 years ago.

Thank you,

Tatum