Dear Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Vietnam Veteran

By yeags50 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
yeags50 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

First and foremost, thank you for your sacrifices for this country and its people. Your sacrifices have guaranteed young adults like me the ability to remain free so we can conduct our normal lives. I know coming home from the war was not welcoming and I’m terribly sorry for that. You and your fellow servicemen and women were treated with such unimaginable disrespect. I would like you to know that the struggles you have endured are greatly appreciated and this country and its people are forever in your debt.

I am writing to you because I wanted to thank you for your service properly, which is something you may not have received.

Thank you for your bravery, blood, sweat and tears. Knowing you and your fellow servicemen and women could have been drafted at the age of 18 and leaving your friends and family behind is the bravest thing I could ever imagine. I am currently 17 and thinking about leaving my comforts of home to serve my country at my age is unimaginable. Even though you may have been against the war you were willing to sacrifice yourself for the better of this country. You could have tried to avoid the draft, but you didn’t, and that is an admirable act.

I have had several family members serve in the Marines and the Army in WW2 and I have considered joining the armed forces myself. Even a family friend of ours has served in Vietnam fighting by your side. I have heard the stories of the war from him and I can’t imagine being in that environment. I understand the struggles you faced during and after coming home from such a long and brutal war.

I hope you have had one of the greatest experiences visiting the war memorial built to honor you and your fellow servicemen and women. Your sacrifices have not gone unnoticed and it is an honor to write a letter to someone who has sacrificed a lot for the better of this country. Just know that your service is appreciated from people like me all across this country, and it is my honor to say welcome home.

Thank you for your service

This letter is written for a Vietnam Veteran that will be on the Honor Flight.